The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got a PMS interview on tuesday?
I have to sit around for mine untill 5 pm. I'm bringing a deck of cards if anyone fancies a game of something after the registration etc etc.
Original post by Medican
100 Greatest discoveries in medicine. Could also be useful when it comes to interviews if you ever get asked what you think is the most important discovery in medicine

http://documentaryheaven.com/100-greatest-discoveries-medicine/

What do you think the greatest discovery in medicine is...theres soo many!? And thanks for this link...
Any ideas on what to do for the fifth option?
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99

Depends, if you have another subject that you could see yourself doing, you could apply for that. If you think that medicine is the only route you can see yourself going down, you could apply for a course which allows transfers into medicine. Or if you don't like either of those choices, you could leave it blank and if the unfortunate event does occur, you could take another gap year and reapply.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4864

Original post by roar558
Depends, if you have another subject that you could see yourself doing, you could apply for that. If you think that medicine is the only route you can see yourself going down, you could apply for a course which allows transfers into medicine. Or if you don't like either of those choices, you could leave it blank and if the unfortunate event does occur, you could take another gap year and reapply.

This. It really depends if you think you could improve your application. If you get rejected this year purely because of your UKCAT, then if you improve it then you could go again. If you get rejected because of your interview performance, do you honestly believe you will be able to improve that? Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Personally, I don't think that I could - I went on a course, I've read the whole of the book, done as much prep as I could do. If I get rejected now, it would be the end of applying to medicine for me. I don't like it, but I've got to be realistic.

If you think thats you, then maybe look about a fifth option. Something you would be happy doing. If it isn't, then maybe go again? Or maybe take another gap year anyway, to decide what you want to do.
Reply 4865
Original post by groovyangel2008
What do you think the greatest discovery in medicine is...theres soo many!? And thanks for this link...

Hmmm...It's so hard to say as one "small" discovery can lead to a massive one. I know the most common answer is penicillin and it's defo up there of course. But then there's the discover of Bacteria itself, which is of course a major breakthrough considering back at the time people believed in miasma theory, so to jump from 'bad smells = disease' to 'No no no, little monsters in the sky cause disease' was certainly a massive breakthrough.

On one hand we have the cure, and on the other we have the theory. I guess the question is do we need to know the theory to find the cure? It's arguable when we consider the discovery of Edward Jenners Vacination. Hmmmm...

I guess if I was pushed for an answer I would say the discovery of penicillin. I know it's playing it safe but it's the one I know about the most and something I think I could defend should the interviewers push me for more detail.

What do you think? :smile:
guys am i right in saying that the biomed and biochem are both very similar but biochem is just more chemistry orientated?
Original post by roar558

Original post by twelve
This. It really depends if you think you could improve your application. If you get rejected this year purely because of your UKCAT, then if you improve it then you could go again. If you get rejected because of your interview performance, do you honestly believe you will be able to improve that? Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Personally, I don't think that I could - I went on a course, I've read the whole of the book, done as much prep as I could do. If I get rejected now, it would be the end of applying to medicine for me. I don't like it, but I've got to be realistic.

If you think thats you, then maybe look about a fifth option. Something you would be happy doing. If it isn't, then maybe go again? Or maybe take another gap year anyway, to decide what you want to do.

thanks for the help :smile: that's sensible advice.

where did you guys apply for your fifth option?
Reply 4868
guys am i right in saying that the biomed and biochem are both very similar but biochem is just more chemistry orientated?

Sort of. Biomed is the more to do with the human body, diseases, etc. Biochem is similar but on a more molecular level. Obviously I'd much prefer Biomed.
Reply 4869

I think you are kind of right - as I understand it, biomedical sciences is basically the non-clinical stuff of a medicine degree. Biochemistry is more about the molecular basis of biology (I'm thinking DNA, proteins, GM stuff etc)

I chose Medical Genetics at sheffield - its basically applying for their molecular biology department, because after a common first year, you can transfer between biochemistry, genetics, molecular medicine, biotechnology etc. I'd probably find biomedical sciences slightly more interesting, but I know its unlikely I'd go for grad entry medicine after I finish, so I'd rather go on a different path, and thats what this gives me.
Reply 4870
Hello again reapplicants! :smile:
Feels like such a while since I've been on this thread!
How are everyone's applications going?! Very well I hope!
(about to start trawling through and stalking you all :wink:)
Reply 4871
No interview yet...starting to feel like last year all over again. :frown:
Original post by sounv001
No interview yet...starting to feel like last year all over again. :frown:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's too close for Christmas for talking like that!!! :cry2:
Reply 4873
So are we all on a gap year then? :smile: What are you guys getting up to?
Original post by rockxie

I'm in a gap year, casually munching on mince pies and brownies lol. Feeling too festive to think about medicine :biggrin:

Ah sorry only saw this today, I'm applying for Medical sciences at Edinburgh, worst comes to worst, I'll go for graduate entry medicine.
Reply 4876
Original post by rockxie

I would say 'nothing', but feel that it doesn't quite capture the mind numbing boredom of my gap year.
Original post by rockxie

For me working and interview practice. The basic trend of all medical related gap years.
Working at an old peoples home. Does it matter that I'm not off to Africa to cuddle orphans etc??? I worry this may make me a disadvantage?? Any thoughts?? :-)
Reply 4879
Original post by Doctor-to-be
Working at an old peoples home. Does it matter that I'm not off to Africa to cuddle orphans etc??? I worry this may make me a disadvantage?? Any thoughts?? :-)

Hah, I actually thought like you at one point. I chose to travel to Africa after my degree to work with disabled/disadvantaged kids. It was worth it in that It enhanced my PS and I can use the experience to answer many questions at interview. However, it wasn't worth it for so many other reasons.

Working at a care home is excellent experience and should be enough depending on what else you have done. I think its rediculous that we should feel like we have to spend money to go and travel to impoverished countries in case this puts us at a disadvantages compared to others... but such is the way of medical applications.

Long story short... do you need to go to a 3rd world country? No. Would it help your application? Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending