Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingbradley6)
    You pay 9% of whatever you earn over £21,000 towards it. As far as I'm aware if you want to pay it off soon after in a lump sum you are more than allowed, why would they stop you? Don't think that would be allowed.
    i was told that there was no definitive amount that you owed once you graduate and you just keep on paying 9% of whatever you earn above 21k for 30 years?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    i was told that there was no definitive amount that you owed once you graduate and you just keep on paying 9% of whatever you earn above 21k for 30 years?!
    Hmm I thought that there is the definite amount, but the debt is wiped after 30 years if you haven't paid the full sum back. It would be a bit mean for them to make you pay back for 30 years if by some miracle you managed to pay it all back after 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should phone Bradford and ask whether your rejection for Clinical Sciences will have any influence on your application for Biomed (I don't think it will tbh but ask to make sure).

usually, you have to write a new personal statement for Biomedicine but i'm not sure if at this stage they would ask for one, so again, call them up.

hope this helps and good luck.
    thankyou! i will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Hmm I thought that there is the definite amount, but the debt is wiped after 30 years if you haven't paid the full sum back. It would be a bit mean for them to make you pay back for 30 years if by some miracle you managed to pay it all back after 10 years.
    I hope you're right!! By any chance, do you know approximately how much people generally have to pay back?

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're right!! By any chance, do you know approximately how much people generally have to pay back?
    Well that completely depends on how much you earn!

ReputationRep:
    Well that completely depends on how much you earn!
    Sorry i wasnt very clear. I meant do you know how much the average Medicine graduate would have to pay back? Because medical students would have similar salaries when they graduate so they'd pay back roughly similar amounts?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i wasnt very clear. I meant do you know how much the average Medicine graduate would have to pay back? Because medical students would have similar salaries when they graduate so they'd pay back roughly similar amounts?
    Yeah thats true initially, but it depends on how your salary increases over the years - that will still vary, and will affect how much you pay back. I wouldn't know without working it out! Ours is the first year that new system will apply, so unless you work it out noone will know!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true initially, but it depends on how your salary increases over the years - that will still vary, and will affect how much you pay back. I wouldn't know without working it out! Ours is the first year that new system will apply, so unless you work it out noone will know!
    Thanks for your help and i have no idea why you got negged! Sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit random but I'm going to be a gap year applicant for 2013 entry and I was wondering how much work experience you all did and in what fields?
    I know it's about what you get out of it that's important but I was curious about how much re-applicants had done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekiwifruit01)
    This is a bit random but I'm going to be a gap year applicant for 2013 entry and I was wondering how much work experience you all did and in what fields?
    I know it's about what you get out of it that's important but I was curious about how much re-applicants had done...
    I did a week in various departments around a hospital before I first applied. For my reapp I didn't do any specific extra work experience but I did volunteer in A&E for about three months and then volunteered on a ward giving out lunches for about four months. But that was more to keep me doing something in a medically environment so I didn't forget the goal! Not that I would, but you know it was a nice reminder of where I want to be

Here's a typical piece of advice that you'll have already heard loads but: it's the quality of the experience, not the quantity. If you've had some really great experiences and loads then you might not need any more and don worry to much if you can't get any more. But if you could get some experience/volunteering then it's not going to be a bad thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekiwifruit01)
    Pretty much exactly what Quackers said

As for what I had, no more formal placements, but I had done some more volunteering - a holiday with deafblind children, and just a bit more time on some of the other stuff I'd started before.

ReputationRep:
    i have a quick question again. if you don't apply for any kind of finance in the first year of your course, can you still apply for a tuition fee loan in the second year if you need it?

ReputationRep:
    i have a quick question again. if you don't apply for any kind of finance in the first year of your course, can you still apply for a tuition fee loan in the second year if you need it?
    I dunno for sure... but why wouldn't you apply for it for the first year?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno for sure... but why wouldn't you apply for it for the first year?
    parents may be willing to pay for the first year, but i don't know if they'll keep it up for the remaining four years ...

ReputationRep:
    parents may be willing to pay for the first year, but i don't know if they'll keep it up for the remaining four years ...
    To be honest, I'd ask them to save their £9000 to give you to help buy a house later on, tuition fee loans are worth getting as far as I can tell.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was telling me that on Money Saving Expert it suggests if you can pay for it you're better off putting it in the bank and getting interest off it and then just pay it later - that could be a better idea perhaps? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I have failed for the second time. Somebody tell me what to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    Okay, I have failed for the second time. Somebody tell me what to do...
    It depends really...
    How many interviews did you get?
    Did you apply to your strengths this time?
    Do you have another offer? Would you consider pursuing this as a career? (if you were unsuccessful as a graduate, could you really see yourself getting a job you enjoy with that degree)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    It depends really...
    How many interviews did you get?
    Did you apply to your strengths this time?
    Do you have another offer? Would you consider pursuing this as a career? (if you were unsuccessful as a graduate, could you really see yourself getting a job you enjoy with that degree)
    All 4 interviews this time, yay!
    Most certainly applied to my strengths
    Nein! I don't... So... I don't know if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    All 4 interviews this time, yay!
    Most certainly applied to my strengths
    Nein! I don't... So... I don't know if that helps.
    Have you received feedback yet?

It looks most likely to be your interview technique.
    In my opinion I was far better at interview this year because I've had an extra year to mature, worked in care and knew exactly what I want now, there is no doubt in my head that I can do this and this is what I want.
    It might be that you're just not quite there yet, people mature at different rates, I definitely wasn't ready last year but some people can turn up to interview still 17 years old and are exactly what they're looking for in a medical student.

Looking back on your interviews do you think you would have accepted you? And do you think you could improve on your performance? If not then I'd think about looking at other degrees, maybe you've reached your limit now but in 3 years time you'll be a different person.

If there really is no alternative in your head then try again, get more work experience and carry on saving some money. Practice standard interview questions with somebody else, not until you're a robot but until you're confident with what you're saying. Maybe get a job in care so you have some interesting experiences to talk about, you get to see allsorts when you're spending a lot of time there

So yeah, that's what I think...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.