Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pan_93)
    well i'm thinking Barts if i get a good UKCAT, liverpool, maybe imperial and somewhere else
    I was also thinking Liverpool cos i love the med school but i wasn't sure with my lack of A*s at GCSE. Even though they score them the same way as As, they don't consider UKCAT/BMAT so it makes me wonder what they're looking for as predicted A2s aren't concrete. GCSEs seem the only way. Not sure i want to risk it

What are your GCSE grades like if you don't mind me asking?

PS i apologize now if i appear depressing in this thread I'm just overly realistic

ReputationRep:
    did anyone else get the ucas media email telling them to go and study in milan (and others)?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else going to accept their fifth choice, just in case and withdraw later. I have Straights A's and am a Scottish applicant. just in case I d really bad in my exams which I doubt I will I am planning on accepting my fifth unconditional offer for biochem, also I don't know, something could happen and I may decide to do biochem. I am just trying to keep my options open. so anyone else planning on accepting their fifth choice with the intention of reapplying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Is anyone else going to accept their fifth choice, just in case and withdraw later. I have Straights A's and am a Scottish applicant. just in case I d really bad in my exams which I doubt I will I am planning on accepting my fifth unconditional offer for biochem, also I don't know, something could happen and I may decide to do biochem. I am just trying to keep my options open. so anyone else planning on accepting their fifth choice with the intention of reapplying?
    I did that last year and I'd say it's a good thing to do. It worse comes to worst - be it with grades, circumstances, or anything else - it gives you something to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    I think my friend is planning on doing this - but he said if he gets all A's, then he'll reapply next year. It makes sense really, because it would be horrible to decline that offer, then not get the grades and have to take a gap year to reapply for something completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASB31)
    did anyone else get the ucas media email telling them to go and study in milan (and others)?
    Yeahh, I got that. Something to consider for next year I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    I was also thinking Liverpool cos i love the med school but i wasn't sure with my lack of A*s at GCSE. Even though they score them the same way as As, they don't consider UKCAT/BMAT so it makes me wonder what they're looking for as predicted A2s aren't concrete. GCSEs seem the only way. Not sure i want to risk it

What are your GCSE grades like if you don't mind me asking?

PS i apologize now if i appear depressing in this thread I'm just overly realistic
    dont worry lol. I got 6A* 4A and 1B at GCSE. Average tbh but top of my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    I did that last year and I'd say it's a good thing to do. It worse comes to worst - be it with grades, circumstances, or anything else - it gives you something to fall back on.
    can you withdraw if you accept it?

ReputationRep:
    can you withdraw if you accept it?
    Yep, I believe so. You just can't apply anywhere else in that (ie this) cycle. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Yep, I believe so. You just can't apply anywhere else in that (ie this) cycle. :cool:
    what you mean? if i was to firm my biomed offer for example, come results day can i just withdraw?

ReputationRep:
    what you mean? if i was to firm my biomed offer for example, come results day can i just withdraw?
    Yes, you can just withdraw.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. But, you're withdrawing your entire application for 2011 entry.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    well i'm thinking Barts if i get a good UKCAT, liverpool, maybe imperial and somewhere else
    Do it, get a decent UKCAT and you're pretty much guarenteed an interview :yep:

And besides, it's an awesome medical school and you could meet me! :ahee:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Do it, get a decent UKCAT and you're pretty much guarenteed an interview :yep:

And besides, it's an awesome medical school and you could meet me! :ahee:

:getmecoat:
    i might have to do it then. Could you give me some tips on how to improve my UKCAT? I just dont see how i can improve my VR??

ReputationRep:
    i might have to do it then. Could you give me some tips on how to improve my UKCAT? I just dont see how i can improve my VR??
    Practice questions, definitely.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I get asked this a bit so I'll copy and paste one of my answers and if it's no good let me now :lol:

"Well one book I would definitely recommend is the 'How to Pass the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT' book. I have no idea if the BMAT section is any good since never even thought about doing the BMAT, but I found the UKCAT section great in that it'll teach you the methods and give you practice questions where you can check the answers and if you got it wrong it tells you the reasoning as to why each option is right or wrong
    Other than that make sure you use the questions on the UKCAT website since they're free! Also good since you can get a feel as to how the test is laid out etc

Other advice I'd give is that at this stage it's more important to learn why answers are right etc rather than time.. so spend ages on questions until you understand why an answer is correct and then worry about doing them quickly later.

With respect to the Quantitative Reasoning section I'd say get used to a non-scientific calculator since they're a pain in the bum to use even when you're used to them! Oh and know that some questions are there to waste your time so might be worth making an educated guess on some and moving on to the next one.. worked out ok for me

Other than that it'll come down to luck so best of luck for when you do it and let me know how it goes on"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Yeahh, I got that. Something to consider for next year I guess.
    It sounds really cool except for one fatal flaw.
    My terrible language skills. It would be disaster!

ReputationRep:
    dont worry lol. I got 6A* 4A and 1B at GCSE. Average tbh but top of my school
    Liverpool shouldn't be a problem then :rolleyes:
    Have you started planning work exp/gap year stuff or would after exams be too late?

ReputationRep:
    Right, after looking through five prospectuses I've come to Tge conclusion I shouldn't ****ing bother because the ukcat will dictate where I can go

However when people say they think more people will apply in 2012 I don't think they will, for the middle class, wor cleggy doesn't seem tk mention it but we'r hit the hardest nag get literally no bursary or grant support since they've increased the threshold income cap & also people will have to be making a big decision between taking their fifth choice and getting the lowest fees, or effectively have to reapply every year after this year until they get in because noone will wanna do a fifth choice degree for 9k.

Also shocked loads of expolys want to charge 9k ?!

Whew totally didn't mean to rant

So anyway, anyone thinking of going abroad during summer/after results to put on tier ps?

ReputationRep:
    A yeeeeeeeeees. You ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.