Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)

How possible is it to teach yourself advanced highers do you think?
    Depends which Advanced Higher and depends to what extent it is self taught.

I would avoid trying to self teach sciences or maths. For the simple reason that they require a lot more teacher input and practical skills to be taught, not to mention the investigations. Arts based subjects such as History and Geography are self taught relatively commonly by pupils. They rely a lot more on reading, which can be done in your own time.

Whatever subject you do, I would advise that you get either an out of school tutor or school teacher to act as your advisor. Send them essays to mark, get them to help with reports and dissertations and they are a source of clarity when you have questions.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have a question about work experience.

This is what I have so far:
    - 1 week in trauma and orthopaedics (was pretty useless work experience, but I can fluff it up with multidisciplinary team stuff etc if I need to)
    - 3 days shadowing a geriatric consultant
    - 1 year voluntary work in acute medicine ward
    - nearly a year (by the time I make the application) volunteering as a 'befriender' for an elderly lady
    - HOPEFULLY volunteering on a Sense holiday (deafblind children)

Is this sufficient work experience? I can talk about it quite a bit when I pick it to pieces for stuff to say, but I don't know whether I should be trying to organise work exp in a GP etc. I want to get a job as a HCA or something, but if I don't, do you think my work experience is enough?

Basically I know its about quality not quantity, but assuming I can talk about it all well, do you think what I've done so far is enough, or should I be trying to get more? Only cause with getting a job, I'm not sure when I'd apply to do it :/

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is over-rated. They don't really look at what you've done as long as you come across genuinely enthusiastic to do medicine. If you have **** load of work experience and **** up in the interview, ie: aren't able to bring the enthusiasm across = fail

ReputationRep:
    what futuredoc said, plus there's only so much you can write in your personal statement and i doubt there would be space to address every aspect of each of the things you did. Obviously the more experience the better for yourself personally, but not necessarily for your application

I think the more you can reflect on what you saw/experienced rather than the amount you saw/experienced is what unis wanna see cos people with connections can easily get tons of work experience..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Hahaha, and you know what they say about black guys and their penises...

Ohh, I do love penis jokes
    it's no joke :no:

:lol:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    But apparantly they're mainly about interview & personal statement
    I think the academic score stuff is just to get an interview

I find they can contradict themselves a bit though (like all unis do) so it's hard to tell
    I wanted to apply, but if i get a decent UKCAT score i won't risk liverpool/bristol as they're competitive enough as it is

LOL well they don't call you the TSR fornicator for nothing.. :sexface:
    i didn't get an interview, 2 marks short

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    i didn't get an interview, 2 marks short
    :console:

But hold on..
    Are we talking about the same uni?
    what's this mark out of 24 about??
    I thought leeds were the ones that gave scores on personal statements..?

ReputationRep:
    :console:

But hold on..
    Are we talking about the same uni?
    what's this mark out of 24 about??
    I thought leeds were the ones that gave scores on personal statements..?
    Yea, Leeds. Personal statement /24, academics /16 reference /6 (everyone gets 6 as far as i know) extra point if you get UKCAT = or > 700. 39/46 to get an interview. My gcse's ****ed me! Over and over, but i needed full marks in everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Yea, Leeds. Personal statement /24, academics /16 reference /6 (everyone gets 6 as far as i know) extra point if you get UKCAT = or > 700. 39/46 to get an interview. My gcse's ****ed me! Over and over, but i needed full marks in everything else
    Ohh.. i was talking about liverpool :rolleyes:
    Yeah i heard that applicants with already achieved A levels grades get full marks for academic
    is it just one extra point for a UKCAT =/>700..?
    And its a risky one with the personal statement being out of 24, the admissions tutor that happens to be reading it might just hate it whereas another might like it..
    I really liked Leeds but was too scared to apply last year..

ReputationRep:
    new to student room, im gunna be replying nxt year also

anyone have any idea what they plan to do in the gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oloyeded020)
    new to student room, im gunna be replying nxt year also

anyone have any idea what they plan to do in the gap year?
    Sorry to hear about your rejections.. I was upset at first, now i'm actually looking forward to a year out
    I'm applying for HCA jobs atm whilst revising for my exams - most important thing
    Plan to actually prepare for the UKCAT this year and rape it :crossedf:
    If the HCA thing doesn't work, just get a regular job in a bar/shop and volunteer as much as i can
    Then apply to more realistic choices come october! :rolleyes:

Have you thought about what you'll do in yours?

ReputationRep:
    what futuredoc said, plus there's only so much you can write in your personal statement and i doubt there would be space to address every aspect of each of the things you did. Obviously the more experience the better for yourself personally, but not necessarily for your application

I think the more you can reflect on what you saw/experienced rather than the amount you saw/experienced is what unis wanna see cos people with connections can easily get tons of work experience..
    Yeah thats true.

Thanks, I think I'll just make sure I talk about my work experience better this year And hopefully I'll have got on my children volunteering thing, to show a range of people I've worked with

(Original post by dmz)
    it's no joke :no:

:lol:

Hahaha, I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true.

Thanks, I think I'll just make sure I talk about my work experience better this year And hopefully I'll have got on my children volunteering thing, to show a range of people I've worked with

Hahaha, I'm sure!
    Haha :smug: just kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Haha :smug: just kidding
    Ow

ReputationRep:
    Ow
    lol well I'm not kidding but the neg reps I've picked up on penis related threads :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    lol well I'm not kidding but the neg reps I've picked up on penis related threads :rofl:
    Ahaha, but this isn't a penis related thread - its a medicine related thread, so obviously its very important to discuss the male anatomy

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha, but this isn't a penis related thread - its a medicine related thread, so obviously its very important to discuss the male anatomy
    Haha lmao :yep: - something's not right, no innuendo's coming at me :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Haha lmao :yep: - something's not right, no innuendo's coming at me :afraid:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1639652

Seems very topical!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: fried chicken :drool: on that note I'm off to kfc, then work from there

ReputationRep:
    Why am I being a doctor again?

I ****ing hate studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    Why am I being a doctor again?

I ****ing hate studying.
    but you hate Starbucks even more!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.