Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travis Barker calls hip-hop-haters 'Nazis' watch

ReputationRep:
    He does have a point in that rock fans are, in some cases, heavily dismissive of rap music (or if you're Lethal Bizzle violently - well as violent as bottles can be...), although in my opinion it's only really a minority that really whine about it, and some rockers I know really like rap.

Unfortunately this was a really ham-fisted way of saying so, and it practically invalidates his statement...

Thoughts?

Story here: http://www.nme.com/news/blink-182/55559

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the point he was making, that some rock fans need to be more open minded when it comes to accepting other types of music, in the same way that fans of other types of music need to be more open minded about rock music.

But calling them Nazis isn't really the right way to do this and isn't really going to help his cause.

I have friends who refuse to listen to anything but rock and dismiss whole genres of music just because they don't play their own instruments or write their own songs and then claim to be the 'real' music fans - how can you be a real music fan if you only listen to one type of music?
    I prefer rock music to other types but I don't listen to it exclusively and there are plenty of other genres I'll listen to.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where he's coming from, but he could have phrased it differently...?

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit of an aggressive way of saying people need to be more open minded musically. I can see where he's coming from, but it doesn't exactly come across well calling people Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    Like most of you it seems agree with the general point, but he phrases it awfully. And it's not like he's collaborating with fantastic rappers. I mean Lil Wayne, there are many many better than that.

ReputationRep:
    I think Rev Run and Kid Rock should produce an epic rap/rock album and hush these haters!!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to come in here to call him and idiot. But after actually reading the article, I agree with him 100%. But then, you have people of all genres that are like that.

ReputationRep:
    That kind of thought process works both ways (well, more ignorance on behalf of the Hip-Hop folk who don't like Rock music), but I can see how a certain section of Rock fans could be perceived as more extreme in their distaste for Hip-Hop music (I can think of a few people who fit this criteria). Better wording was indeed necessary; calling people Nazis over something so trivial is just really obtuse and pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of Nazi analogies. This one is particularly worthy of a :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Not very articulate is he..?
    Like most other people on this thread I do agree with his general point though.

ReputationRep:
    From reading the article I'd say he's just being deliberately provocative in order to promote his new album.

ReputationRep:
    There must be a lot of journalists out there who make their entire living out of reporting when the next celebrity uses Nazis in a simile.

ReputationRep:
    Godwin's Law :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^ [Godwin's law] too true

funny how this all comes down to being open-minded, yet he brands people Nazis for disagreeing. Pot. Kettle. + Godwin's law = :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    thinking a bit... wtf, slightly silly thing to say - then I remembed Travis Barker said it and I was like w/e it's Travis. Cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Godwin's Law :rolleyes:
    You beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    Surely nobody should be told what music to like? Imo you shouldn't even be told to be more open minded.

Like what you like, and let people like what they like.

But yes, the Nazi analogy is far too far.

Also, read 'hip-hop-haters' as 'hiphopopotamus'. Time for new glasses? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I personally detest most rap/hip-hop/r&b (yes i mostly listen to rock and metal music).
    But to be honest i couldn't care less if people call me a nazi for it, or anything else... Why should anyone care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spongle)
    Surely nobody should be told what music to like? Imo you shouldn't even be told to be more open minded.

Like what you like, and let people like what they like.

But yes, the Nazi analogy is far too far.

Also, read 'hip-hop-haters' as 'hiphopopotamus'. Time for new glasses? :rolleyes:
    Actually that was supposed to be the thread title - he also called the Rhymenocerous a 'Commie'

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.