Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need an English genius to explain this passage to me!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I was reading Baudrillard's book...but I came to a part that consfused me...so is there anybody who is willing to expalin what this passage is saying?

I will first give a background so that you know what he is talking about...He says that people used to think that production is made to satisfy the values of a society. However, this theory was refuted by Galbraith, who said "needs are the fruits of production." So according to Galbraith, people produce things, and then advertise them so that customers feel the need to buy that thing. So he is saying that things are not produced according to what society needs but that needs are created by production.

"The truth is not that 'needs are the fruits of production,' but that the system of needs is the product of the system of production, which is a quite different matter. By a system of needs we mean to imply that needs are not produced as a force of consumption, and as a general potential reserve within the larger framework of productive forces. It is in this sense that we can say that the technostructure is extending its empire. The system of production does not "shackle" the system of pleasure to its own ends (strictly speaking, this is meaningless). This hypothesis denies autonomy to the system of pleasure and substitutes itself in its place by reorganizing everything into a system of productive forces. We can trace this genealogy of consumption in the course of the history of the industrial system..."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.