Turn on thread page Beta

Is it ok for a guy to refer to his fiance as.... watch

Announcements

...his 'girl'? if shes no longer a girlfriend, and is engaged/married, is it disrespectful to refer to her as this? Thanx

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it is.

Unless you are a feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    No, no it isn't.

Unless you are a feminist.
    Thanks for speaking for us, but no. Quite frankly I, as a feminist, couldn't give a toss if a guy calls his fiancee his girl.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit immature and chavvy, in my opinion- try to imagine George Clooney going "This is my girl"- but I wouldn't say disrespectful. If it's just between the two of you, e.g. "How's my girl doing today?" it's not as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Thanks for speaking for us, but no. Quite frankly I, as a feminist, couldn't give a toss if a guy calls his fiancee his girl.
    You're very welcome, my dear.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse it is. She is no longer his girl but instead his biatch.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as bad as saying "the missus".

Its usually used by a man who's hen-pecked eg "sorry man I can't come, I promised the missus that I'd do such and such".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)

Its usually used by a man who's hen-pecked eg "sorry man I can't come, I promised the missus that I'd do such and such".
    Why does everyone hate the word 'missus'? I actually love that word.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is, he should be humiliated in public & then taken away & locked-up forever!

Who cares?! I wouldn't, I think it sounds sweet. It depends, it's an individual thing, some people might think nothing of it whilst others might have more of a problem with it.
    You'll know in the future if you call your fiancee that & she turns around & chastises you for it!

I hate the word 'missus' btw, sounds so cheap! Yuck! My future husband will definately not be allowed to call me that!

ReputationRep:
    it depends if it is meant as a term of endearment or a form of patriarchy

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It is kind of true - she's his 'girl' and he's her 'guy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)

I don't see what's wrong with that... I don't mind it at all, and have been known to call him 'the mister'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    You're very welcome, my dear.
    No problem, kid.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her? You can call her what you want if she is happy with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.