This discussion is closed.
grapesugar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
The esters C4H8O2, how many and what are the isomers of it? I can think of 3 but I need to know if there are more?!?!
markkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are only 3 esters with the formula C4H8O2.

They are:
CH(O)OCH2CH2CH3
CH3C(O)OCH2CH3 &
CH3CH2C(O)OCH3
grapesugar
Rep:
?
thanks
grapesugar
Rep:
?
hmm next part, is working out the difference between what the nmr spectrum would look like between ethyl ethanoate and propyl methanoate. im utterly confused, i see no difference. both have a 3:2:3 ratio, and both have a singlet, doublet, and a triplet with the same relative no. of protons?!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
propyl ethanoate is CH3CH2COOCH3
ethyl ethanoate is CH3COOCH2CH3

so you are quite correct with your assessment of the splitting and the integrals - the only difference in 1H NMR can be in the relative shift of each group.
markkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Included are the 1H-NMR predictions for both ethyl ethanoate and propyl methanoate.

The central hydrogens in the propyl part of proryl methanoate should be next to carbons which contain 2 and 3 hydrogens and so are next to 5 in total which should give 6 splitting peaks.
Attached files
grapesugar
Rep:
?
cool, thanks. solved my problem :-p
The doct00r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
2nd and third one are similar
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads