Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sorry this is a bit long, would prefer to post this as anon, but can't figure out how to?!

Basically, my second cousin has talked to me about keying someone's car. Its a girl that she knows at her uni, that has bullied her, done various mean things etc. The girl in question has a brand new car worth circa £5K.

What I need to know is, is doing this a serious criminal offence? Whats likely to happen if caught?

Will the girl who owns the car lose out seriously? Won't insurance cover it?

I am thinking maybe I should try and dissuade my second cousin from going ahead with it. BTW, she is not normally so vindictive, but has been through some tough times lately.

Thanks Guys.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, because it is criminal damage, and saying 'she bullies my cousin' won't hold up in court.

ReputationRep:
    Anon is only in Health & Relationships.

Of course you should dissuade her. Putting aside that this is a seriously ********* thing to do, chances are the car-owner will have an idea who did it. This will only make things worse.

Can't say how serious an offence it is, but I'm sure it is one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GBateman)
    Don't do it, because it is criminal damage, and saying 'she bullies my cousin' won't hold up in court.
    It's my cousin that wants to do it, not me, I would never do anything like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elissabeth)
    It's my cousin that wants to do it, not me, I would never do anything like that!
    From reading the OP, it seemed as though your cousin was talking to you about keying someone's car - meaning they wanted you to do it - and I thought you were contemplating it.

Best tell your cousin not to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Is the bullying taking place in uni? If it was a thing in the past it's best she forgets about it. If it is taking place now, I would suggest just having a fight.

If your cousin plans on keying the car, they're better off smashing the passeneger seat window with a brick and opening the storage compartment. That way it looks like a robbery instead.

I would rather do something to the tyres. Most people will just talk to a friend/relative of the bully or someone you know and could just sort things out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangha236)
    Is the bullying taking place in uni? If it was a thing in the past it's best she forgets about it. If it is taking place now, I would suggest just having a fight.

If your cousin plans on keying the car, they're better off smashing the passeneger seat window with a brick and opening the storage compartment. That way it looks like a robbery instead.
    Aren't having a fight or attempting to rob a car more serious offences though?

ReputationRep:
    Insurance will cover it if she has got fully comp, but it might ruin her NCB and push her premiums up. Or she would have to pay it out of her own pocket.

It's a really harsh thing to do tbh. Your cousin sounds like a coward, she should approach her about it and punch her in face if need be. Not do something sly and secretly so that she avoids blame.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't having a fight or attempting to rob a car more serious offences though?
    Bullying provokes this. Plus that was sarcasm. I don't know if your cousin is still getting bullied or what not but it is best to sort this verbally. Get someone mature to go with your cousin. If it is taking place at uni, they should be talking to their tutors or someone that can help. Point is damaging someone's property isn't going to make it stop. Will only make things worse.

ReputationRep:
    I expect that if nothing happens with the police, the university might take a dim view and she may not be allowed to continue her studies in the worst case.

Her future I guess, but it's a monumentally stupid thing to do.

She needs to find support with the issues she's having with this girl, not risk it all over the cheap and unsatisfactory thrill of damaging her car. She might feel good for a bit, but it'll pass. Then she'll still have the issues and may have to deal with the consequences of keying her car. Such a silly idea.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to grow up and stand up for herself. A bit of verbal pr physical abuse is completely different to vandalism. I don't condone bullying at all and I've certainly had a fair share of it but ruining someone's paintwork is hardly going to teach them a lesson is it? If the girl doesn't know who did it then her behaviour towards your cousin isn't going to change anyway! If she finds out who did it then your cousin will end up much wirse off, whether that's through an escalation in the bullying or landing a hefty fine. ****ing childish behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sorry this is a bit long, would prefer to post this as anon, but can't figure out how to?!

Basically, my second cousin has talked to me about keying someone's car. Its a girl that she knows at her uni, that has bullied her, done various mean things etc. The girl in question has a brand new car worth circa £5K.

What I need to know is, is doing this a serious criminal offence? Whats likely to happen if caught?

Will the girl who owns the car lose out seriously? Won't insurance cover it?

I am thinking maybe I should try and dissuade my second cousin from going ahead with it. BTW, she is not normally so vindictive, but has been through some tough times lately.

Thanks Guys.
    Sounds like you're a real hateful *******.

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't pussy out. Do it. Show that *****. Sounds like she deserves it. And there's little to chance you'll get caught so...

ReputationRep:
    key her car? it sounds like something a 10 year old would do

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.