Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its just Economics.
    A person wage level is judged upon thier value of thier output (MRP)eg.local news reporter gets paid ****s while bbc news reporter gets paid a fortune.Same applies for a footballer if the employer thinks a person can produce a high level of output he will offer that or less for example win a league cup or stay in a league.
    Overall they are paid this amount because the revenue they produce is much higher.
    A good example would be investment bankers they get bonuses of millions because they produce billions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    What a ridiculous generalisation. Some rich people do indeed evade paying taxes, most don't.
    It's not a generalization, there have been and indeed there are ongoing investigations into a number of footballers and managers. Most notably Harry Redknapp, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand. There are lots of others who are presently facing possible criminal charges.
    Furthermore, I wasn't the one whom specified the number of persons under question as I said very clearly 'the amount' as opposed to 'x amount'. You were the one whom talked about numbers by using the words 'some' and 'most'.

ReputationRep:
    They bring happiness to millions of people. There are much higher earners in other fields of sports. STFU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Overpaid? According to what objective standard are you making that claim?
    If a four year old says something to you and you then refute it with an argument based on ration and sense, it's interesting to ponder who the stupid one is - you or the four year old? I think you know what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember that 40-50% of their wages are taken as income tax. I remember Arshavin complaining that he actually earned more money in Russia because they taxed him a lot less. I do agree that they don't deserve to be paid more than a doctor/soldier/police office/firefighter etc but this is unfortunately the world we live in. At least we're clever enough to tax them a lot unlike other countries

ReputationRep:
    I am a football fan but I don't agree with the wages they are paid, especially considering the state the game is in at the moment. I think there is a lot wrong with the game at the moment.
    But...c'est la vie.

ReputationRep:

Drogba Agrees.

ReputationRep:
    The amount they earn in a week, I'm happy to earn in a year!

ReputationRep:
    They don't exactly steal the money.
    If you don't follow football, how much of your money goes to the footballers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    What a stupid comment:confused: The standard he's making the claim on is the fact that 'some' footballers become a millionaire every month (e.g.- Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi- obviously their on the top end of the scale of highly paid footballers because they're very talented).
    This.

The very talented in EVERY industry get paid LOTS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    I stated before that when taking every occupation into account the idea of benefits to society and the levels within that are subjective. I never said that footballers don't provide benefits, but anyone can clearly see that some people deserve to be rewarded more than others. I use scientists as a very clear example.
    How do you decide who "deserves" what? Why should you decide who "deserves" what? Should all scientists be rewarded more than all footballers? Any argument you make will be entirely arbitrary - fortunately we have a free market, which means that individuals acting in voluntary and mutually beneficial exchange decide who receives what based on their own perceived values, which are all equally as valid as your assertion that scientists deserve higher pay than footballers. You might respond that if these other opinions have the same validity as yours and I'm saying yours isn't necessarily "valid" then why should these others have importance. Well, each individual has the right to pursue his own ends and it is not right to impose your value judgments (footballers being overpaid) onto others.

ReputationRep:
    So if your boss at McDonalds decided he wanted to up your wage from £5 per hour to £100000 per week would you say no? Hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    So that people like Roman Abramovich have more money to keep for themselves?
    No, the ensure a more even league, I dream of the day football will become much more even, like it used to be, with most teams on a pretty even playing field.

A wage / transfer cap could ensure this.

I would love to see an ever changing league where you never know who is going to do well / get relegated.

ReputationRep:
    It's capitalism.

The public pays for it.

Kinda sad that so many are willing to fund the wages, but it's what the people want, right?

Also, they only have a few years of high earnings!

ReputationRep:
    It's called a free market. People will pay them what they think they are worth.

ReputationRep:
    Fail thread. OP is clearly trying to argue about something that he knows nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it's disgusting how much some of them earn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Jazz)
    I agree, it's disgusting how much some of them earn
    Disgusting? Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Disgusting? Why?
    Because I don't think they earn it or are worth it. I think it's obscene they are paid that much considering what they do

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can say I don't care how much they get paid, as long as they pay tax if they're going to live here. Somehow, Tevez has found a way around paying tax and we have to pay by government cuts.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.