The Student Room Group

Few questions

Hi,

I'm student from Poland. I got to the summer internship in Department of Biochemistry at Oxford University. I have few questions about living in oxford and accommodation. What is better (and cheaper) look for place in a dormitory or rent a house/flat? I have searched for flat and it’s about 350-450 GBP/month. Is dormitory available in summer for foreign students? How much does it cost per week/month? Could you advise me something? Where would be the best location to accommodate?
Next issue is something very specific in Oxford which common tourist should know? I will spend 7 weeks in Oxford from 18th July till 4th September so It would be great if I was ready for the unexpected. How much does a normal week in Oxford cost? I mean food, bus tickets and some other expenses.
I would be grateful for any advices. I will ask if I had more questions
Kind regards
Dawid
Reply 1
Original post by didny
Hi,

I'm student from Poland. I got to the summer internship in Department of Biochemistry at Oxford University. I have few questions about living in oxford and accommodation. What is better (and cheaper) look for place in a dormitory or rent a house/flat? I have searched for flat and it’s about 350-450 GBP/month. Is dormitory available in summer for foreign students? How much does it cost per week/month? Could you advise me something? Where would be the best location to accommodate?
Next issue is something very specific in Oxford which common tourist should know? I will spend 7 weeks in Oxford from 18th July till 4th September so It would be great if I was ready for the unexpected. How much does a normal week in Oxford cost? I mean food, bus tickets and some other expenses.
I would be grateful for any advices. I will ask if I had more questions
Kind regards
Dawid

I don't think I'll be able to help with your accommodation question, as I've only ever had experience of living in college, and I'm not sure about general accommodation costs. It might be worth contacting individual colleges and asking if they have rooms available for rent over the summer? But I'm not sure, really. Someone else might be able to help you.

What are you planning on doing in Oxford, apart from your internship? If you're living centrally, you shouldn't really have any travel costs, as everything's walking distance. If you're living further out and getting the bus, I guess that would cost £3.20 per day. If you're cooking for yourself and buying food from Tesco, that shouldn't be too expensive either.

As for other expenses, it depends on what kind of things you want to do. Put aside money for cinema tickets/shopping/travel to London if you want, but otherwise you should be able to do things pretty cheaply. Parks and museums are free, obviously, and you should be able to entertain yourself without spending loads of money.

A typical week for me in Oxford costs about £100 on top of accommodation, but that's only because I'm going out a lot, buying tickets for various things, wasting money on coffee etc. I imagine your experience of Oxford in the summer as an intern will be quite different to the typical student's experience. None of this is very helpful, I'm afraid...
Original post by didny
Hi, I'm student from Poland. I got to the summer internship in Department of Biochemistry at Oxford University. I have few questions about living in oxford and accommodation.

Dawid - a good person to contact is whoever will supervise your internship in BioChem. He/she may be able to find you a room in their college.

:sheep:
Reply 3
Original post by Derek_the_Sheep
Dawid - a good person to contact is whoever will supervise your internship in BioChem. He/she may be able to find you a room in their college.

:sheep:

But there is a small problem - all beyond internship I have to arrange myself. I don't mind contact would help me. I have searched gumtree and I found few interesting options but is in England any other web portal with accommodation offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending