Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a lot about how much opportunity there is for part-time work in Durham, or how many hours they'd recommend working without it affecting uni work/social life? I'd like to be able to get a part-time job while I'm there, but I'm worried about the availability given economic climate plus it being a relatively small city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnaChance)
    Does anyone know a lot about how much opportunity there is for part-time work in Durham, or how many hours they'd recommend working without it affecting uni work/social life? I'd like to be able to get a part-time job while I'm there, but I'm worried about the availability given economic climate plus it being a relatively small city.
    There are lots of jobs in colleges - bar work, in the college libraries, etc. The debating union bar (24s) also has bar jobs, and I guess the student union does too. It's definitely best to get a job with a college/society if you can, as they'll be understanding of your work, and much more flexible than a supermarket/restaurant/club job.

There are jobs in the shops and restaurants too though - I've seen about 5 adverts for part-time workers in shops this week, but often up to 14 hours a week which I'd think would be too much. Obviously it depends on how much sport/societies/other activities you do, but you definitely shouldn't compromise your involvement in college societies/sport/etc for a job, if you really need money then use your overdraft and contact your college tutor for advice about the access to learning fund, etc.

One or 2 nights a week of bar work should be ok, providing they're not too long shifts (about 5 hours a shift, rather than 7pm - 3am or anything). You probably couldn't do that doing your first month, but that's usually when interviews take place so it should be ok.

If you want a job in a shop or restaurant, it's definitely best to come up a few days before term and walk around handing out CVs. You may find lots of the jobs have gone to 2nd/3rd years who arrived at the start of September, but more jobs seem to come up throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who is a first year at Durham, and he works in the Metrocentre (a large shopping centre near Newcastle) at a McDonalds...so it is quite possible to get jobs that are further afield, but obviously it's not ideal and travel would be quite expensive as you'd have to probably get the train.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.