Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i have got offers from King's and Cardiff and now im finding it hard to choose..
    I have visited both cities/campuses however only had a tour around Cardiff Dental school and i really liked them both. So the final decision now kind of depends on the style of teaching/course structure and stuff like that.. it would be helpful if anyone knows:

Which of these two unis (if any) do dissections?
    Do you have to share patients at kings/cardiff?
    Heard any complaints regarding the courses?

also let me know what you guys think about the unis in general if you want! id appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm afraid I can't comment on your specific questions, but I can say that, when it comes to money, London is the most expensive student city to live in and Cardiff is the cheapest student city to live in. So there's an easy choice there :P
    It also depends what you want from the city you are in - London has everything, is always awake and very vibrant. Though it's not as easy to get around (big!) and you will often have to travel all around to partake in extra-curricular. Cardiff is small and primarily campus (I believe) and is a really lovely city; you don't have as far to travel but there is less available on the whole.

I'm not sure about Cardiff, but Kings have a very traditional style of teaching (ie. no PBL). They recently had a revamp of a lot of their equiptment (2007 I believe), though Cardiff have just had a tonne of money pumped into their equiptment and teaching facilities so it is all top of the range this year!

Overall, Kings has a better reputation (worldwide especially) however, it really doesn't matter which dental school you go to, as long as you come out with a pass!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot for the feedback good to find out about the improvements and refurbishing of the unis!

Yes i am aware of the city life and its true that london is very expensive compared to cardiff :P, and thats a big factor too.. as of right now im probably leaning towards cardiff just cause it appeared more friendlier and life there seems more easy going and of course cheap and got good student union etc..
    as for the reputation, i ve heard many people say i shouldnt really look at it because all the dental schools are pretty much amazing but still i cant help to think id be able to get even better job opportunities as a result of graduating from a better respected uni.. or no?
    Also im think that in the future i might want to settle down in london, you think going to kings would ease this in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albertgajdos)
    thanks a lot for the feedback good to find out about the improvements and refurbishing of the unis!

Yes i am aware of the city life and its true that london is very expensive compared to cardiff :P, and thats a big factor too.. as of right now im probably leaning towards cardiff just cause it appeared more friendlier and life there seems more easy going and of course cheap and got good student union etc..
    as for the reputation, i ve heard many people say i shouldnt really look at it because all the dental schools are pretty much amazing but still i cant help to think id be able to get even better job opportunities as a result of graduating from a better respected uni.. or no?
    Also im think that in the future i might want to settle down in london, you think going to kings would ease this in any way?
    I think the reputation of Kings would do more for you internationally than within the UK. At the end of the day, a dental degree is a dental degree, no matter which uni in the country you go to. I don't think that certain Uni's will give you much of an advantage job wise, it's more about you as an individual. However, if you do want to potentially settle in London down the line, it may be very beneficial to go to Kings as you will make the dental contacts in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by albertgajdos)
    So i have got offers from King's and Cardiff and now im finding it hard to choose..
    I have visited both cities/campuses however only had a tour around Cardiff Dental school and i really liked them both. So the final decision now kind of depends on the style of teaching/course structure and stuff like that.. it would be helpful if anyone knows:

Which of these two unis (if any) do dissections?
    Do you have to share patients at kings/cardiff?
    Heard any complaints regarding the courses?

also let me know what you guys think about the unis in general if you want! id appreciate it
    When you get your kings offer? Was it recently?

ReputationRep:
    Yep it was actually this friday! but ive been waiting for it for quite a while now..

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.