Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On a scale of 1 to 10 ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shutter)
    Sometimes 10, sometimes 1. It depends on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    First ahahahaa I win, I win!

EDIT: Damn you stethoscope *shakes fist*

I can be very competitive, especially if winning involves chocolate

ReputationRep:
    1st post!!!1!

Oh wait.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's a trait that medical students/doctors should have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)

haha, excellent
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If it pushes someone to do their best, then yes.

If it pushes someone to do their best at the expense of others and the involvement of back stabbing etc, then no

ReputationRep:
    If I'm losing at scrabble I go mental and flip the board over.

ReputationRep:

:O

You beat me to the joke....

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I find that the work can sometimes be tedious and very hard. In this situation, competitiveness gives you the drive to knuckle down and study. There's nothing wrong with it as long as it is in moderation.

When it comes to doctors, wanting to be the best at any cost could be very dangerous but the nature of post grad training means that you have to prove that you are different to the rest. So having a competitive streak would be advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    No more than 6, I think. I'm not the type of guy to go mental because I'm losing in PE football for example.

ReputationRep:
    10 maybe 11 :P it depends - I don't usually enter stuff I don't have a chance of winning.

But I'm not usually a sore loser - if i know the other people/person did better, i'll admit it . . .

ReputationRep:
    In terms of academia, 7
    Outside, I'm quite an apathetic person, so 1

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but I have to try and be better than everyone else at Exams in my School.
    If you knew the intelligence of the people in my school you would know why thats not hard to accomplish.
    Everything else I don't really care about, I was a really sore looser about not getting Head Boy, but i'm deputy so I don't really care too much.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a 10, although I only use it to push myself!

ReputationRep:

This made me giggle: thumbs up for you.

Love your avatar: that's Pit, isn't it?

In relation to the question: yes, I am very competitive. A 10 I think. :ninja:

EDIT:Oops! I have only just seen the "medical applicants and students ONLY" bit.
    *Dashes off from thread*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As long as you don't become a gunner then some healthy competitiveness is good IMO.

ReputationRep:
    if its fun its ok.

but competition bites the nails of success, and your aim is only to have fun and to get patients treated right, surely, or you arent in the right career. Sweating your balls off to become a type A coronary disease personality isnt living.

And most often in life, people who are extremely competitive in life are simply good at shutting themselves from the things that other people value in their lives. What they are actually saying is that they are deprived, econimically well off enough so as to not yet properly care about the real things in life or socially retarded and they just dont know it. Thats why they have the freedom to be competitive, becos they are missing something major.

I think if you are using compeittiveness as an excuse to knuckle down to study (which everyone could choose to do if they wanted to make that choice) then you probably arent interested in what you are studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    If it pushes someone to do their best, then yes.

If it pushes someone to do their best at the expense of others and the involvement of back stabbing etc, then no
    100% agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    if its fun its ok.

but competition bites the nails of success, and your aim is only to have fun and to get patients treated right, surely, or you arent in the right career. Sweating your balls off to become a type A coronary disease personality isnt living.

And most often in life, people who are extremely competitive in life are simply good at shutting themselves from the things that other people value in their lives. What they are actually saying is that they are deprived, econimically well off enough so as to not yet properly care about the real things in life or socially retarded and they just dont know it. Thats why they have the freedom to be competitive, becos they are missing something major.

I think if you are using compeittiveness as an excuse to knuckle down to study (which everyone could choose to do if they wanted to make that choice) then you probably arent interested in what you are studying.
    I don't think anyone is truly interested in A-level chemistry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.