Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I saw a group on Facebook: "Things Ucas don't tell you before you start university!" Do you have your own ideas, or tips for me please? I'm so excited to be starting in September in Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    You will spend waaaay too much money in Freshers week(s) and end up living on beans the weeks up to Christmas

ReputationRep:
    Before I started uni, everyone told me how much fun first year was. They rarely if ever mentioned the rest...when the work starts :P

ReputationRep:
    First year actually involves hard work, you won't always get along with your flatmates, sometimes you're gonna feel the pressure of all the work you have but you'll love [almost] every second of it.

ReputationRep:
    You're in a party city and will find the temptation to either mingle with two very different groups of people. And you have to make that decision almost instantly otherwise the groups are locked in with or without you.

No pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't walk into your flat like I did on moving in day and look everyone up and down and say, 'you're **** and you know you're ****'.

ReputationRep:
    Lower your expectations of higher education itself.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Leave your bedroom door open when you unpack so you can say 'hi' to everyone as they walk past .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    You're in a party city and will find the temptation to either mingle with two very different groups of people. And you have to make that decision almost instantly otherwise the groups are locked in with or without you.

No pressure.
    What two groups? Are you meaning party people and studying people?

ReputationRep:
    Make an effort to get to know your flat mates first before your course mates, after all you have to live with them for a year.

Join a few societies that you are genuinely interested in, its a quick and easy way to meet like minded people.

Take advantage of the extra curricular events organised by your uni to boost your CV. x

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah... and actually try your best in first year. So many people don't because on most courses it doesn't count towards your overall grade. But my friends have told me that the people don't work in first year find second year a BIG jump and struggle initially. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smalley)
    What two groups? Are you meaning party people and studying people?
    Yep, and although moving into an unfamiliar house with unfamiliar people is something you won't ever experience again, you'll probably come to realise that its probably best you don't ever experience it ever again.

Expect bullying, arguing, fall outs, the locals who hang around with their own friends and bring them round to party etc. it can and will most likely happen at some point so be ready for that.

Have a look at H&R section, just read all the threads of people whinging that they hate uni life and thought it would all be a ball (it can be, but there are downfalls). Then do the opposite of what they did.

Also, in 2011 you will be surrounded by people who either got grades or bull****ted their way in. There will be a lot of people there with no reason to, it's a gravy train and this is the final boarding call. There will of course be people there to study properly and are infinitely more mature than most.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and although moving into an unfamiliar house with unfamiliar people is something you won't ever experience again, you'll probably come to realise that its probably best you don't ever experience it ever again.

Expect bullying, arguing, fall outs, the locals who hang around with their own friends and bring them round to party etc. it can and will most likely happen at some point so be ready for that.

Have a look at H&R section, just read all the threads of people whinging that they hate uni life and thought it would all be a ball (it can be, but there are downfalls). Then do the opposite of what they did.

Also, in 2011 you will be surrounded by people who either got grades or bull****ted their way in. There will be a lot of people there with no reason to, it's a gravy train and this is the final boarding call.
    I agree that you may be housed with people that you don't get on with...but I wouldn't go far as to 'expect bullying.' Just be civil with everyone and don't give them a reason not to like you. x

ReputationRep:
    Do not, DO NOT, sleep with your flatmates. Under any circumstances. It doesnt matter how tempting it is. Dont do it. Sex + Flatmates = bad.

other than that, be relaxed, meet new people, join some societies, try new things, get steaming every night for as long as you can afford and enjoy living away from home with people who'll you probably be good friend with

Respect other people, treat them fairly, and you'll get on fine most likely. It wont all be roses, ive had some storming fights with one of my flatmates, but i still love being at University

ReputationRep:
    * Ask for advice but don't become obsessed with getting "tips", because at the end of the day, you have to make your own way in life and experience things for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks whoever repped

Anyway in terms of advice, I would say go with an open mind, work hard but have fun and don't take it too seriously. You might not get on with everyone, you may sometimes get stressed. But it is a great experience and you can meet some fantastic people along the way. I won't say I've enjoyed every minute of it - although my 'stress moments' have been few and far between - but I still think it's the best decision I ever made. It isn't all fun and games, but there's enough fun and games to make the hard work in between worthwhile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paperkissx)
    You will spend waaaay too much money in Freshers week(s) and end up living on beans the weeks up to Christmas
    I spent about £20 in Fresher's Week. :3

(Protip: Avoid fresher's wristband, utter waste of money.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_802)
    I agree that you may be housed with people that you don't get on with...but I wouldn't go far as to 'expect bullying.' Just be civil with everyone and don't give them a reason not to like you. x
    This is a tip for life in general as opposed to uni....there's always at least one c**t.

You may get one with all your flatmates, but there will be a person upstairs who hates the ****ers. What you said is dangerously close to going with the crowd, and it often enough means you will distance yourself from the odd one out whether you realise it or not. I'd like to believe everything is rainbows and riding unicorns but putting essentially a group of children (whether you turned 18 one day or not) together is subject to being as hazardous as the dipsticks big brother put together year after year.

Then again it could be fun.

ReputationRep:
    This is a tip for life in general as opposed to uni....there's always at least one c**t.

You may get one with all your flatmates, but there will be a person upstairs who hates the ****ers. What you said is dangerously close to going with the crowd, and it often enough means you will distance yourself from the odd one out whether you realise it or not. I'd like to believe everything is rainbows and riding unicorns but putting essentially a group of children (whether you turned 18 one day or not) together is subject to being as hazardous as the dipsticks big brother put together year after year.

Then again it could be fun.
    lol I presume you had a bad first year experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_802)
    lol I presume you had a bad first year experience?
    No, but it's clear that the naive ones do and try to blame everything around them.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.