Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are dresses either maxi or mini, never in between?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Rrrraaargh. (This is just a rant.)

I was looking on lots of sites (like Forever 21, Asos, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Boohoo) for summery dresses, and nowhere seems to have any that are knee-length. You can get maxi dresses or ones that are halfway up your thighs.

I'd rather not have either - maxis make me look frumpy, and I don't have the legs for minis.

The only places that do seem to do knee-length summer dresses are old-lady places like M&S or BHS.

So. Damn. Annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised to find that Primark actually had some good mid-length 100% cotton summer dresses when I went in last week. I bought one and would have bought two others if they'd been available in my size .

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this will be changing shortly as the "midi" is supposed to be the new best thing this season :P just have to wait for the highstreet to catch up?

http://www.fashion-style.becomegorge...tion-3911.html

ReputationRep:
    I've seen quite a few midi dresses on ASOS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    I was surprised to find that Primark actually had some good mid-length 100% cotton summer dresses when I went in last week. I bought one and would have bought two others if they'd been available in my size .

Oooh, I'll have a look in there when I get the chance.

ReputationRep:
    New look has some "Midi" dresses in.

ReputationRep:
    john lewis and coast has nice ''midi'' dresses

http://www.10orless.co.uk/store/women/dresses/

I hear what you're saying, OP. Majority of dresses I try on (because I am tall) come up to my crotch. And because I quite like to keep my modesty in check and you know, don't fancy ''flaunting'' it, I'm not wearing them/buying them. I believe some girls like that, but call me old fashioned I'd rather dress classy, than slutty.

So yea where ever has dresses that are made for tall people and fit properly to the knee, lemme know too :tongue:.

ReputationRep:
    Vintage baby!

I actually now hate modern clothing. It's always too short, too revealing and not very good quality.

So yeah, I wear midi-everything now, and it's all vintage!

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking this for ages! Maxi dresses are a bit impractical and I don't have good enough legs for minis and like to keep a bit of modesty! No idea what to suggest as I haven't found a proper solution. Some high street shops have middle length skirts/dresses in some of the time but it's not ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Even mini dresses come to the knee on me
    I second primark, I was in there a few days ago and saw quite a few medium length ones

ReputationRep:
    Ok I don't mean to sound like a grandmother but does anyone think this 'dress' looks like a long top??

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...8&pageSize=200

I really don't think this would cover your arse

ReputationRep:
    midis are all over the place now. new look, river island, asos, topshop... everywhereeee. i dont know how you havent come across any yet?!

im a fan of minis tbh... im a midget so they usually come up mid-thigh-length on me. although always with tights, my legs are too pale and too untoned to bare all! which is why im not a fan of summer :emo:

ReputationRep:
    asos has a "midi" section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    Ok I don't mean to sound like a grandmother but does anyone think this 'dress' looks like a long top??

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...8&pageSize=200

:eek: definitely not a dress!!
    Then again, I think bodysuits are just glorified swimming costumes with bits stuck on them. No one looks good in them, NO ONE.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Vintage baby!

I actually now hate modern clothing. It's always too short, too revealing and not very good quality.
    I love vintage, but it hates me I have whacking great hips that nothing ever fits over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...p;pageSize=200

Haha yeah I agree.

but I do think it comes down to height too. I have a friend whos about 4'11ish and all these 'dress tops' reach to almost her knees, whilst another friend would buy the same style and have to wear them with legging because they barely cover her backside and shes over 5'10. And theyre both best friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    :eek: definitely not a dress!!
    Then again, I think bodysuits are just glorified swimming costumes with bits stuck on them. No one looks good in them, NO ONE.
    I agree! I don't think it's a popular opinion though...the amount of girls I see walking around with barely anything on, in winter especially, is shocking.

(Original post by ithoughtofthis)
    Haha yeah I agree.

but I do think it comes down to height too. I have a friend whos about 4'11ish and all these 'dress tops' reach to almost her knees, whilst another friend would buy the same style and have to wear them with legging because they barely cover her backside and shes over 5'10. And theyre both best friends
    Yeah I agree, if you're 4'11" it would be ok, but that's hardly the average height. That dress should be in the petite section!

Maybe these kind of dresses (there were loads more on there ) are the reason so many girls look like they're only wearing a top with leggings? They've been tricked into thinking it's a dress :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Can you sew? Just buy longer dresses and shorten them.

ReputationRep:
    I found a really nice "midi" length dress in Zara on Friday. It's about knee-length and not too low cut. Plus, it's a really flattering cut as it nips in at the waist nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Can you sew? Just buy longer dresses and shorten them.
    This doesn't really work, due the cut/line/pattern of the dress you could end up making it look weird.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.