The Student Room Group

Student Finance help needed!

Hey guys, sorry if these questions have been posted before, I have searched through the forums but nothing seems to answer my questions directly, so here are a few of my own, as the Student Finance website is currently down :frown:

1) What exactly is the student loan? For example, what is it broken down into.. I've heard things about maintenance loans, etc, and it's all a bit confusing to me

2) What is the maximum amount of money in each "section" of the loan can I apply for? I am looking to do a BA (Hons) Degree in Professional Musicianship and the annual fees just exceed £5,000. Based on an annual household income of £15,000 or under, how much money could I borrow as part of the loan?

3) My last question.. I can't actually find the course on the Student Finance application website. Would I have to ring them up for that part?

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help (hopefully :smile:), and sorry if I seem clueless, it's just confused the hell out of me!
Hi

There are actually two student loans - one for tuition fees up to £3375 in 2011 and one for maintenance (living costs).

The maximum loan for living costs depends on where you live and where you want to study. You obvioulsy get more in London.

If you are attending a course at a publicly funded institution you cannot be charged more than £3375 for tuition fees, I would be inclined to ring your uni and ask why their fees are higher and how do students pay?

If you are not at a publicly funded uni you may not be able to get a tuition fee or maintenance loan - and maybe that is why you cannot find it on their system.

Ring the uni today and ask for advice - they all have staff that give money advice.
Reply 3
Original post by ssvlcond

If you are attending a course at a publicly funded institution you cannot be charged more than £3375 for tuition fees, I would be inclined to ring your uni and ask why their fees are higher and how do students pay?

If you are not at a publicly funded uni you may not be able to get a tuition fee or maintenance loan - and maybe that is why you cannot find it on their system.

Ring the uni today and ask for advice - they all have staff that give money advice.

Thanks for the info! The place im applying to is Brighton Institute of Modern Music (BIMM). I've found most of their courses on the site, so they must be government funded. I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow and find out. Thanks again for your help :smile:

And thanks hypocriticaljap, I will get reading those right away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending