Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahwarahbarah)
    I thought of doing joint honours with English Literature but in the end I decided I couldn't split my attentions, i'm definitely a massive History nerd. What sort of modules do you get to choose from for French? I'd be rubbish at anything like that, GCSE speaking language exams used to give me panic attacks, I always think language students must be very brave!
    I'm totally different! I can't stand doing just one thing all the time - I think I needed joint honours. As much as I'm a History/Languages nerd I couldn't spend all my time on them :P
    In French it's obviously the language but also it's like French Literature, History, Media, Film etc. Personally, I think the Literature looks the best Also for the third year you actually get to go to France (which I'm already excited about, despite it being a longggg way away)!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm totally different! I can't stand doing just one thing all the time - I think I needed joint honours. As much as I'm a History/Languages nerd I couldn't spend all my time on them :P
    In French it's obviously the language but also it's like French Literature, History, Media, Film etc. Personally, I think the Literature looks the best Also for the third year you actually get to go to France (which I'm already excited about, despite it being a longggg way away)!
    Hopefully i'll get a chance to take a wild module, I don't know if you can with History.
    I sooo wanted a year abroad but it wasn't an option with any of the courses I liked There's European History with a year abroad but you had to have a GCSE in French and I didn't do that one.
    What accomodation have you gone for? I've picked parkwood 6 bedroom houses, I really wanted an ensuite but I can't believe how expensive the accomodation is.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i'll get a chance to take a wild module, I don't know if you can with History.
    I sooo wanted a year abroad but it wasn't an option with any of the courses I liked There's European History with a year abroad but you had to have a GCSE in French and I didn't do that one.
    What accomodation have you gone for? I've picked parkwood 6 bedroom houses, I really wanted an ensuite but I can't believe how expensive the accomodation is.
    Yeah, you can take wild modules with anything I think you have to take atleast 60 credits worth of History but then you have another 60 credits left (which can be taken from wild modules)
    I also thought that one looked good but I thought combined was a better option for me
    I picked Parkwood Flats first - it's really expensive but I think where I live is the most important factor as I'm coming from so far away! My parents are in a good financial situation for the moment (and I'm an only child ) so I thought I may as well as seen as I'll be living there for a year! I have put the houses as my 3rd and 4th options though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mellie220)
    Yeah, you can take wild modules with anything I think you have to take atleast 60 credits worth of History but then you have another 60 credits left (which can be taken from wild modules)
    I also thought that one looked good but I thought combined was a better option for me
    I picked Parkwood Flats first - it's really expensive but I think where I live is the most important factor as I'm coming from so far away! My parents are in a good financial situation for the moment (and I'm an only child ) so I thought I may as well as seen as I'll be living there for a year! I have put the houses as my 3rd and 4th options though
    Oh yay!
    I had Parkwood Flats down as my first choice but last week I switched to the houses to save the money, that's £1000 extra for clothes Or something sensible like books perhaps. I'm uber-clean so I'll just make sure I keep the shared facilities nice, I do have nightmares sometimes about sharing a house with five really unhygenic people, but that doesn't seem toooo likely.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yay!
    I had Parkwood Flats down as my first choice but last week I switched to the houses to save the money, that's £1000 extra for clothes Or something sensible like books perhaps. I'm uber-clean so I'll just make sure I keep the shared facilities nice, I do have nightmares sometimes about sharing a house with five really unhygenic people, but that doesn't seem toooo likely.
    Yeah I did contemplate that - I'll just try and buy as much clothes as I can before I go!
    I know what you mean, it's why I'm quite insistant on an en-suite - I love cleanliness (the random bits of clothes on the floor I don't mind, it's just hygine which is essential!) so I would go mad if I had an unclean housemate who I shared a toilet with so that's why I need an en-suite :P I'm sure the kitchen alone will be enough to send me over the edge to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    I want to make choices to what i chose. how do i?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, nevermind. I NEED en-suite.
    How will you go about shaving yoru legs etc? lol, what if yoru hair clogs up teh bathroom? what if people pee in the showers oh no...need my own!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh you two are making me all worried about choosing shared now! But my boyfriend is at Kent and has an ensuite so if I can't stand sharing I will just kick him out for the day and have his shower to myself. I was quite horrified when I looked around one of the Darwin houses on a visit day and the plates in the kitchen sink nearly reached the ceiling =/ I don't mind cleaning other peoples mess if it avoids situations like that!

ReputationRep:
    Oh you two are making me all worried about choosing shared now! But my boyfriend is at Kent and has an ensuite so if I can't stand sharing I will just kick him out for the day and have his shower to myself. I was quite horrified when I looked around one of the Darwin houses on a visit day and the plates in the kitchen sink nearly reached the ceiling =/ I don't mind cleaning other peoples mess if it avoids situations like that!
    Can I share with you please? ;p

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm borderline OCD and I'm going into Darwin Colleges. Hopefully I won't go crazy and kill all my flatmates!

ReputationRep:
    I can not imagine anything better than having a borderline OCD room mate.

ReputationRep:
    Well, unless they go crazy and try to kill you!

ReputationRep:
    Being murdered would probably be preferable to having to clean up some of the messes that my housemates have left!

ReputationRep:
    Any PG students here??
    i am going nuts over the accommodation @ Woolf college...

Anyone knows about the rooms/have pics or share any info about the lodging there??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    people taking law next year GOODLUCK, try to fulllllllllly enjoy ur summer. Cuz ur gonna get raaaaaaaaaaaaappped
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cinnamon442)
    Being murdered would probably be preferable to having to clean up some of the messes that my housemates have left!
    Is sharing that bad? =/

ReputationRep:
    Only if you get some really disgusting people. My housemate this year for instance leaves spaghetti in water on the hob, until it turns blue and melts. I didn't know spaghetti could do that, but apparently it can. She also leaves food on plates in the kitchen for basically months and rotting food. Did you know that if you leave lemons for a long time, they go blue and turn into powder? Yep. I've given in and I clean up after her now because I feel like I'd rather have twice the cleaning to do but live in a house that isn't covered in mold. But not everyone is like that, I have a housemate who cleans up after herself and doesn't leave mess. I hope you get nice housemates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinnamon442)
    Only if you get some really disgusting people. My housemate this year for instance leaves spaghetti in water on the hob, until it turns blue and melts. I didn't know spaghetti could do that, but apparently it can. She also leaves food on plates in the kitchen for basically months and rotting food. Did you know that if you leave lemons for a long time, they go blue and turn into powder? Yep. I've given in and I clean up after her now because I feel like I'd rather have twice the cleaning to do but live in a house that isn't covered in mold. But not everyone is like that, I have a housemate who cleans up after herself and doesn't leave mess. I hope you get nice housemates!
    That's... Terrifying! I should tell my obsessively clean friend at UWE that; he thinks his flatmates are bad! :rolleyes: I imagine my room's going to become my 'safe zone'!

So fellow 'firmers', what's the thing about Kent/Canterbury itself that you're most attracted to? It's a place to live, too, after all! I think for me it's the locality: being so close to London/Europe etc. Plus, the rest of Britain is still quite accessible, what with the Canterbury-London high speed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie511)
    That's... Terrifying! I should tell my obsessively clean friend at UWE that; he thinks his flatmates are bad! :rolleyes: I imagine my room's going to become my 'safe zone'!

So fellow 'firmers', what's the thing about Kent/Canterbury itself that you're most attracted to? It's a place to live, too, after all! I think for me it's the locality: being so close to London/Europe etc. Plus, the rest of Britain is still quite accessible, what with the Canterbury-London high speed...
    Same here! Location-wise it's brilliant for me. I live in London so it'll be nice to escape the busyness whilst not being too far away from family. Also, being close to Europe/Paris is always a bonus. I can't wait now. Begone stupid exams!! x

ReputationRep:
    So, i'm a massive massive slacker and only just did the accomodation. Joining the bandwagon of

Park wood houses 5 then 6
    Then Darwin house/college room thing normal whatever was the cheapest *brain melts*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.