Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm having to choose my 6th year subjects very soon. I originally had sorted out what subjects I wanted to do but since then I have changed my mind.

I want to study Maths at university and I will be applying to uni's in Scotland AND England.

I originally wanted to do:
    AH Maths, Physics, Statistics and Cambridge Pre-U Economics
    or AH Maths, Physics and Cambridge Pre-U Economics and another higher (PE/geography/photography or something)

but since then I have lost faith in the business department at my school and have decided it would not be a wise choice to continue studying Economics.

This year I am studying Higher English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.

I have now decided I want to study AH Maths, Physics and Stats. The dilemma I'm facing is what to take as my 4th subject.

My school offers crash higher Italian. I never did a language at standard grade/GCSE because my school did not offer Spanish (they only offered arabic and french - both which I really did not fancy doing). Before that I was pretty strong in language subjects. Because I never got the opportunity to study a language at a higher level and I think I would find it very useful. However I'm worried that it might be too much for me or something.

What do you think? Anyone who has studied higher Italian please let me know what it is like.

(Other information - I studied Spanish for three years in secondary school and French for 6 years primary/secondary and Arabic for 3 years in primary school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    x
    Since you stopped doing languages in S3? then I would not advise you to take a language you have never studied before to Higher. There will be tonnes of stuff that you will have to hastily try and learn before the final and I don't think you could do it, if I'm completely honest.

Besides, you'd have to spend quite a lot of time getting your Italian up to scratch but that will take time away from your other advanced highers, which will be more important to get a good grade in.

I know people who have done SG but had a years break from the language (french) and they are really really struggling with Higher.

If I were you, I'd take an easy Int2 or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chr1stopher11)
    Since you stopped doing languages in S3? then I would not advise you to take a language you have never studied before to Higher. There will be tonnes of stuff that you will have to hastily try and learn before the final and I don't think you could do it, if I'm completely honest.

Besides, you'd have to spend quite a lot of time getting your Italian up to scratch but that will take time away from your other advanced highers, which will be more important to get a good grade in.

I know people who have done SG but had a years break from the language (french) and they are really really struggling with Higher.

If I were you, I'd take an easy Int2 or something
    Can't do that at my school... they don't really let 6th years take Int 2's in 6th year except for the Int 1 Geology course "/ and also everyone that does take Italian for crash higher has never done it before at my school (they do not offer Int 2 or Standard Grade Italian at all). So really everyone will be on the same level as no one will have done any italian before.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm having to choose my 6th year subjects very soon. I originally had sorted out what subjects I wanted to do but since then I have changed my mind.

I want to study Maths at university and I will be applying to uni's in Scotland AND England.

I originally wanted to do:
    AH Maths, Physics, Statistics and Cambridge Pre-U Economics
    or AH Maths, Physics and Cambridge Pre-U Economics and another higher (PE/geography/photography or something)

but since then I have lost faith in the business department at my school and have decided it would not be a wise choice to continue studying Economics.

This year I am studying Higher English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.

I have now decided I want to study AH Maths, Physics and Stats. The dilemma I'm facing is what to take as my 4th subject.

My school offers crash higher Italian. I never did a language at standard grade/GCSE because my school did not offer Spanish (they only offered arabic and french - both which I really did not fancy doing). Before that I was pretty strong in language subjects. Because I never got the opportunity to study a language at a higher level and I think I would find it very useful. However I'm worried that it might be too much for me or something.

What do you think? Anyone who has studied higher Italian please let me know what it is like.

(Other information - I studied Spanish for three years in secondary school and French for 6 years primary/secondary and Arabic for 3 years in primary school)
    I guess it really just depends how eager you are to do the subject - if you're determined and are willing to put the work in, then why not? :dontknow: It probably also depends on how good the languages department is in your school. Also, I've heard that Spanish is quite similar to Italian, so maybe that might be of some use.

I haven't actually studied a language at Higher level, so I'm not 100% sure what it's like. What might help is if you learn some of the basics during the summer holidays. You sound like you're quite good at languages, so I'd imagine you wouldn't find it too bad.
    I envy the fact that your school does Italian

ReputationRep:
    This isn't going to be much help, but I am incredibly jealous of your school doing Italian. I desperately want to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christielovesyou)
    This isn't going to be much help, but I am incredibly jealous of your school doing Italian. I desperately want to do it.
    I'm so lucky my school does so many subjects. A lot of people come to my school just for 6th year because of the not so common subjects/courses it offers.

There's:
    - Accounting and Fiance (AH, H)
    - Art and Design (AH, H)
    - Biology (AH, H)
    - Business Management (Cambridge Pre-U, H)
    - Ceramics (Int 2)
    - Chemistry (AH, H)
    - Classical Greek (H)
    - Classical Studies (H)
    - Computing (AH, H)
    - Digital Creator (GCSE)
    - Drama (AH, H)
    - ECDL (European Computer Driving License)
    - Economics (Cambridge Pre-U, H)
    - Electronics (H, Int 2)
    - English (AH, H)
    - Enhanced Curriculum Courses (Chinese, Cookery, Drama, Entrepreneurship, First Year Law Course, Japanese, Photography, Psychology, Russian, Set Design and Painting for theatre Production, Sociology)
    - French (AH, H)
    - Geography (AH, H)
    - Geology (Int 2)
    - German (AH, H)
    - Graphic Communication (AH, H)
    - Greek (H)
    - History (AH, H)
    - Human Biology (H)
    - Information Systems (AH, H)
    - Italian (H)
    - Latin (AH, H)
    - Mathematics (AH, H)
    - Applied Mathematics (AH Stats, AH Mechanics)
    - Media Studies (H)
    - Modern Studies (AH, H)
    - Music (AH, H)
    - Personal Finance (Intermediate Certificate)
    - Philosophy (H)
    - Photography (H)
    - Physical Education (H)
    - Physics (AH, H)
    - Product Design (H)
    - Psychology (H)
    - RMPS (AH, H)
    - Science In Society (AS Level)
    - Spanish (AH, H)
    - Sports Leadership (Sports Leadership Award)
    - Statistics (H)
    - Technological Studies (AH, H)

So yeah... quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so lucky my school does so many subjects. A lot of people come to my school just for 6th year because of the not so common subjects/courses it offers.

There's:
    - Accounting and Fiance (AH, H)
    - Art and Design (AH, H)
    - Biology (AH, H)
    - Business Management (Cambridge Pre-U, H)
    - Ceramics (Int 2)
    - Chemistry (AH, H)
    - Classical Greek (H)
    - Classical Studies (H)
    - Computing (AH, H)
    - Digital Creator (GCSE)
    - Drama (AH, H)
    - ECDL (European Computer Driving License)
    - Economics (Cambridge Pre-U, H)
    - Electronics (H, Int 2)
    - English (AH, H)
    - Enhanced Curriculum Courses (Chinese, Cookery, Drama, Entrepreneurship, First Year Law Course, Japanese, Photography, Psychology, Russian, Set Design and Painting for theatre Production, Sociology)
    - French (AH, H)
    - Geography (AH, H)
    - Geology (Int 2)
    - German (AH, H)
    - Graphic Communication (AH, H)
    - Greek (H)
    - History (AH, H)
    - Human Biology (H)
    - Information Systems (AH, H)
    - Italian (H)
    - Latin (AH, H)
    - Mathematics (AH, H)
    - Applied Mathematics (AH Stats, AH Mechanics)
    - Media Studies (H)
    - Modern Studies (AH, H)
    - Music (AH, H)
    - Personal Finance (Intermediate Certificate)
    - Philosophy (H)
    - Photography (H)
    - Physical Education (H)
    - Physics (AH, H)
    - Product Design (H)
    - Psychology (H)
    - RMPS (AH, H)
    - Science In Society (AS Level)
    - Spanish (AH, H)
    - Sports Leadership (Sports Leadership Award)
    - Statistics (H)
    - Technological Studies (AH, H)

So yeah... quite a lot.
    I'm now officially jealous of your school. :eek: So many subjects on there that I would've loved to do! You lucky, lucky person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    I'm now officially jealous of your school. :eek: So many subjects on there that I would've loved to do! You lucky, lucky person!
    Hence why I'm find it so hard to choose. I definitely know what I want to do in the future but instead of having tons of free periods my school persuades us to take some of the more different subjects for 2 or 3 periods a week. Not all of them run apparently (depending on how many people want to do each) but it's nice to know that there is that opportunity, to say learn russian!

ReputationRep:
    Hence why I'm find it so hard to choose. I definitely know what I want to do in the future but instead of having tons of free periods my school persuades us to take some of the more different subjects for 2 or 3 periods a week. Not all of them run apparently (depending on how many people want to do each) but it's nice to know that there is that opportunity, to say learn russian!
    Better to have too much choice than too little! Since our school is more focused on the science-based subjects there isn't anything like Modern Studies or Classics, and there's really only two languages to choose from, French and Spanish - used to run German - but the selection you have sounds so much more interesting.

On the bright side I guess, I have loads of free periods.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.