Turn on thread page Beta

Advice please? Into consulting, now want out watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi first post here, but wondering if anyone has some advice/thoughts for me.

I took a job in a boutique strategy consultancy last year after graduating. However, I'm really unhappy and totally unfulfilled by the job. I am working unnecessarily long hours for micro managers, and being put under severe stress over things that don't matter to anyone (even the clients), everyone in my workplace could complete the work between the hours of 9 and 5.30 but culturally it just doesn't get done as anyone working effectively gets layered with proposal work and inevitably pulled on to rescue missions for mismanaged projects on top of multiple projects. To top it all off I'm working exclusively for a sector that I wasn't even interested in in the first place.

Despite this I have performed pretty well so far but enthusiasm is waning quickly... When I interned previously in finance I woke up in the morning wanting to go into the office, now I struggle to get up at all.

I'm struggling to know what to do. Should I just suck it up for the next year? Or how can I leverage my short experience to do something more interesting?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments

ReputationRep:
    This forum's not the right place to ask this question...most members are teenagers looking for internships, so you're not likely to get constructive or useful advice. I'm definitely not qualified to give you any advice - all I can think of is suck it up for a year, and do an MBA? Since you're performing well, you're likely to be able to get a good recommendation letter from your managers.

Sorry to hear about the situation though. I've been stuck in jobs/projects where the work and people were uninspiring and unchallenging, and it was hell. Hope you manage to work out something.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jamtime)
    Hi first post here, but wondering if anyone has some advice/thoughts for me.

I took a job in a boutique strategy consultancy last year after graduating. However, I'm really unhappy and totally unfulfilled by the job. I am working unnecessarily long hours for micro managers, and being put under severe stress over things that don't matter to anyone (even the clients), everyone in my workplace could complete the work between the hours of 9 and 5.30 but culturally it just doesn't get done as anyone working effectively gets layered with proposal work and inevitably pulled on to rescue missions for mismanaged projects on top of multiple projects. To top it all off I'm working exclusively for a sector that I wasn't even interested in in the first place.

Despite this I have performed pretty well so far but enthusiasm is waning quickly... When I interned previously in finance I woke up in the morning wanting to go into the office, now I struggle to get up at all.

I'm struggling to know what to do. Should I just suck it up for the next year? Or how can I leverage my short experience to do something more interesting?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments
    I'd say wherever you want to end up, try and make it a calculated move. Jobs are very hard to come by and you are just as likely to be seen as an unreliable job jumper than an experienced hire if you aren't very careful.

So consider very carefully whether the grass really is greener somewhere else, or whether there could be improvements in your current role in the next year. Work out exactly what you don't want, and exactly what you do want in a job, and make sure where you want to go really does fit. To make a second mistake could be very costly.

If you make it to two years of employment, then you are in a different situation and you can offer yourself to alternative employers with much more credibility as an experienced hire.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest- where is your job?
    many people here will be applying there and it might help them out

ReputationRep:
    If you'd consider a lateral move, I would be happy to stick my neck out and say you'd enjoy it better at OC&C. The atmosphere is very good and although obviously there are a few downs here and there, I enjoy my life probably as much as I did while I was at uni.

PM me if you want to talk some more.

Erm, unless you're already at OC&C...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.