The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: Edexcel Biology unit 5 Pre Release Discussion (:

Pre Release article is coming out soon ... so I thought I would make a thread where we can discuss the article itself, questions that might appear, and anything in between.

Rumour has it that it's to do with the olympic games and muscles. :tongue:

(:

Edit 1: Uploaded scientific article ... doesn't look too bad, and the bonus is that it's much shorter than last years! :u:
Edit 2: Our exam is now 1hour45minutes, so we have more time, and less questions according to my teacher who recently went on a Edexcel Conference.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wicked, i do a level p.e so the muscles/cardio/respiration aspects should be alright :biggrin: i also enjoy genetics (also in the article)

does anyone know how much of the article will be synoptic?
What is this pre release article thing? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by supernova92
What is this pre release article thing? :smile:

It's for edexcel, it's for question 7. So, we have to read the scientific article before hand, and then answer the questions on it in the exam with a blank copy of the article.
Hope that answers all your questions, and if not, ask away.

:u:
Hey guys, the pre release article is out already and it does mention the Olympics :P
Reply 5
i have attached the pre released !! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1582083

so any one got questions ??
Reply 6
Original post by dush_2
x

Do you have any sample questions for it? :tongue:

Our class won't be looking at it until beginning of May ...!
Reply 7
don't have any questions but things the could ask them on include:
aerobic respiration, heart rate, aerobic respiration - enerygy systems (krebs cycle etc), muscular system - and how all these chnage with exercise + training. Also there could be areas for genetics, ethics of changing genetics, genetic screening etc (used in AS for cystic fibrosis)

that's just mt guess on a few major areas they could ask :danceboy: imo they'll ask more synoptic questions though
Reply 8
Original post by Meesta
don't have any questions but things the could ask them on include:
aerobic respiration, heart rate, aerobic respiration - enerygy systems (krebs cycle etc), muscular system - and how all these chnage with exercise + training. Also there could be areas for genetics, ethics of changing genetics, genetic screening etc (used in AS for cystic fibrosis)

that's just mt guess on a few major areas they could ask :danceboy: imo they'll ask more synoptic questions though

so cant u prepare some questions for us with the mS
Original post by Error
It's for edexcel, it's for question 7. So, we have to read the scientific article before hand, and then answer the questions on it in the exam with a blank copy of the article.
Hope that answers all your questions, and if not, ask away.

:u:

Hey oh thanks, i'm such an idiot, i clearly can't distinguish ebtween edexcel and AQA... :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by dush_2
so cant u prepare some questions for us with the mS

No i can't as my school haven't started teaching the 'run for your life' topic yet
Reply 11
Original post by supernova92
x

ahaha. No problem! :u:

Meesta
x

What's an ms?
Reply 12
Original post by Error

What's an ms?

don't know, think he means mark scheme or muscular system
Reply 13
Original post by Meesta
don't know, think he means mark scheme or muscular system

oh right! Thanks.
Reply 14
mark scheme
Reply 15
any one got notes for this ??
OMG! You posted the material!!!! I could snog your brains out I swear :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Harley_Quinn
OMG! You posted the material!!!! I could snog your brains out I swear :smile:

what i did not get you
Reply 18
i've got a question here that i hope someone can help me!!

paragraph 7 and 8, page 7 of the scientific article

can someone explain to me about this:-

the last sentence in paragraph 7 says 'knock out either and muscle wasting all but stops'.. does this means that when you knock out the genes, muscle wasting do not stop?

and in paragraph 8, 'when Glass knocked out each of the 2 atrogenes in rats, he found they suffered less atrophy after both disuse and disease'

i thought paragraph 7 implies that if you knock out the genes, you will suffer atrophy but then paragraph 8 seems to imply that when the genes are knocked out, there is less atrophy..

hope someone can help me! thank a lot!!!!
Reply 19
*subscribe*

Quick Reply

Latest