Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is not just the inserted gene might causes mutation and lead to harmfull products, and that the virus might get into humans and antibitec restitsnce gene gets into human microbes/>
    (Original post by chemdweeb1234)
    Rise of eugenics with GMOs? say what?

ReputationRep:
    )*Describe the role of primary and secondary immune response's following IGF-1 gene injection in to the body.
    can anyone help me with this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1234)
    )*Describe the role of primary and secondary immune response's following IGF-1 gene injection in to the body.
    can anyone help me with this
    It would probably be a good idea to think of the adenovirus (let's just say it's a generic one - not as if detail is crucial) they use. You should know that an adenovirus is a very large virus and it can carry a large payload of genes inside it's protein coat. However, it is susceptible to attack from the host's immune system. This is what you've got to describe.

In some instances, the person's immune system may not kill off the adenovirus (or adeno-associated virus, for that matter) completely before it deposits the IGF-1 gene inside some muscle cells. The body would have developed antibodies against the virus - this constitutes the Primary Immune Response of the body.

But the gene for IGF-1 may eventually wear off, meaning that it needs to be re-inserted. However, if you were to use the same adenovirus (or AAV), it would be destroyed pretty quickly as the body has already produced the antibodies against it. Far more antibodies are produced after the second exposure - and this constitutes the Secondary Immune Response.

I know this is a week after you posted, but I do hope that this is of some help.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.