Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have received an unconditional offer to do a foundation degree in biological sciences through the uni of Liverpool. Although year zero (the foundation year) is taught in Carmel college. I was just wondering who else will be doing a foundation degree in Carmel college in September 2011 and what accommodation are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing the exact same course in September too! I was thinking about getting accommodation at either Grand Central or North Western Halls, both which are really close to Liverpool Lime Street Station, and then commute every day. What were you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ahh its good to speak to someone else on the same course! Commuting everyday yes but wasn't sure about where to stay, as all the accommodation on the university website is a bit far from Lime Street. Grand Central and North Western Halls are so near though! Have you applied for any yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think the best bet is to stay in student accommodation near to the train station otherwise will have to get a bus ontop of a train journey. No I haven't yet, I'm still deciding which one to choose, but probably will go with North Western Halls. My friends staying there at the moment and it's a really good location and the rooms are pretty big but fairly cheap!

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Was wondering if you could help me? I have applied for the year 0 foundation to health and have my interview next week; which hopefully I'll pass!! As it is a university course, am I still eligible for student finance, such as maintenance grants/loans etc? Wasn't too sure with the studying being done in Birkenhead sixth form.....

ReputationRep:
    Hello yes you will be eligible for some student finance. If you go to direct.gov and go on the Student finance calculator will tell you how much and stuff. Good luck in your interview

ReputationRep:
    Ah right okay, hopefully it will all go well! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Ive been accepted on foundation year at carmel college(2012) for progression onto liverpool uni.....

Because carmel is 9miles away from the uni campus and halls i dont know quite what to do...

Options i suppose are staying in halls at Liv Uni or finding private accom nearer Carmel....

Anyone have past experience on whats the better option? or anyone else in a simalar
    boat to me? and will i be able to get halls again when i start year 1 at liv uni?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Any input greatly appreciated!!!

Maxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    max I am in the same boat as you, unconditional 2012.

I'm also considering both options, renting or uni accommodation. I think it would be time/money effective to rent near the college.

If there is anyone out there who is also doing a year at Carmel for progression to Liverpool, who is interested in a flat/house share message me.

Tania
    x

ReputationRep:
    Waheey the exact question I've started thinking about, I have an unconditional offer for Maths foundation at Liverpool but haven't yet firmed it as I'm waiting to hear back from Sussex.

Are we guaranteed halls if we apply? Would we receive halls in the second year as well, as it's our 'year 1'?

God, 9 miles to Carmel I really didn't realise! Could someone be really nice and point me towards some more information. I really haven't done my homework :s

Thanks,

Z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max.d.cox)
    Hiya,

Ive been accepted on foundation year at carmel college(2012) for progression onto liverpool uni.....

Because carmel is 9miles away from the uni campus and halls i dont know quite what to do...

Options i suppose are staying in halls at Liv Uni or finding private accom nearer Carmel....

Anyone have past experience on whats the better option? or anyone else in a simalar
    boat to me? and will i be able to get halls again when i start year 1 at liv uni?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Any input greatly appreciated!!!

Maxxxxxxxx

Hey, I'm in the same position as you! I went to the accomodation day but couldn't get any answers... Not really sure what to do because I really want to firm Liverpool xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAZAA123)
    Hey, I'm in the same position as you! I went to the accomodation day but couldn't get any answers... Not really sure what to do because I really want to firm Liverpool xxx
    Is it worth travelling from London to Liverpool for the accommodation open day? Just got an invite got March, but the trains bloody expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ardinator)
    Is it worth travelling from London to Liverpool for the accommodation open day? Just got an invite got March, but the trains bloody expensive
    Umm if you want to see what the accommodation is like, it's worth it I only looked at Greenbank/Carnatic and Mulberry Court so it didn't take that long haha xD x

ReputationRep:
    As i said in another post, Carmel is an excellent college (did my Alevels there) but its 10 miles away from the uni of liverpool. It's really not worth living in Liverpool getting the 10 bus everyday which takes at least 45 mins if the roads are good and upto 1 1/2 hours if busy. So i'd suggest living in St.Helens, the accom is much cheaper and the town isn't that bad and is improving massively atm. Plus if you did want to go out in liverpool its a train journey/group taxi/bus occasionally against every single day.
    if looking in st.helens aim for prescot or the town centre, avoid thatto heath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAZAA123)
    Umm if you want to see what the accommodation is like, it's worth it I only looked at Greenbank/Carnatic and Mulberry Court so it didn't take that long haha xD x
    Ummm I think I do but 3 hours driving either way and God knows how much in petrol may suggest otherwise - especially if I need to live somewhere near Carmel! I really don't like the idea of not living in halls for the first year... could be a deal breaker :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ummm I think I do but 3 hours driving either way and God knows how much in petrol may suggest otherwise - especially if I need to live somewhere near Carmel! I really don't like the idea of not living in halls for the first year... could be a deal breaker :mad:
    Yeah, I didn't really think to ask about accom near Carmel and forgot about the buses and getting there. There is a bus pass we can get though, think it was ~£300, unlimited travel - they'll have a stand in Carnatic with information about travel etc Where else have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    http://ask.liv.ac.uk/help/undergradu...ndation_carmel

ReputationRep:
    Rejection from Sussex, not too sad especially as I visited Liverpool yesterday. What an experience, especially on St Paddy's day.

Viewed the accommodation and just made the following post (sorry for the repost, views appreciated):

I viewed the halls yesterday and understand the only two self catered halls are Derby & Rathbone & Dale Halls.

My first impressions are:

Derby & Rathbone - Very pretty grounds, nice bar, nice dining halls (though I would go self catered), tennis courts and a good gym. En-suite which would be really good!

Dale Halls - I didn't get to see these though looked around other parts of Carnatic which looked pretty bad. The rooms are not en-suite and looked small and shabby. The Carny bar, I hear, is much better and more lively than the Greenbank bar though.

Well, this is only my impression from an hour guide tour of both. What do people have to say about either self catered halls? I really want to be part of the most lively halls but wouldn't want to regret choosing Dale halls. At the moment I'm much more inclined to go to Derby & Rathbone.

I also need to consider how I would get to Carmel College for the first year from either. Does anybody know?

Zak

ReputationRep:
    I also need to consider how I would get to Carmel College for the first year from either. Does anybody know?

Zak
    Hi, i went to that open day (st paddys day) and am also going to carmel. apparently the way to get to carmel is to catch a 10min bus to city centre then the number 10 bus from there to carmel (in st helens) which is a 40 min bus journey

i preferred the rooms at greenbank and general look, but got the impression carnatic may be slightly more lively.

at the end of the day though you always think your halls is the best halls apparently -i know cause 3 friends of friends all went to liverpool and stayed at greenbank/carnatic and all said there wasnt much difference between the 2 but thought theirs was best....

hope that makes sense to you.....

have you thought about staying nearer carmel college to avoid the trek? ([I]dont think im going to/I])

Maxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max.d.cox)
    Hi, i went to that open day (st paddys day) and am also going to carmel. apparently the way to get to carmel is to catch a 10min bus to city centre then the number 10 bus from there to carmel (in st helens) which is a 40 min bus journey

i preferred the rooms at greenbank and general look, but got the impression carnatic may be slightly more lively.

at the end of the day though you always think your halls is the best halls apparently -i know cause 3 friends of friends all went to liverpool and stayed at greenbank/carnatic and all said there wasnt much difference between the 2 but thought theirs was best....

hope that makes sense to you.....

have you thought about staying nearer carmel college to avoid the trek? ([I]dont think im going to/I])

Maxxx
    Hey Max,

No way! I want ot live off campus, I commute an hour to central London every day so I really don't mind.

Currently I'm torn between Dale (S/Catered) and Derby (S/Catered).

Greenbank is so much nicer to look at but I'd hate to always regret not going to Carny. Which of the two are you thinking?

Catered or S/Catered?

Zak

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2013

University open days

1. University of Liverpool
    Visits and Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Liverpool
    Visits and Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.