Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm really bad at bearings and mechanics in general and I can't get the right answer to this question. Please help!

A man walks 5 km from O on a bearing of 290° to a point A. He then walks a further distance of 2 km on a bearing of 045° to a point B. Find the distance OB and the bearing of O from B.

Please look at my diagram that I attached and tell me if it is right?
    I got the distance OB right (4.53km) but I can't get the bearing right. Apparently it is 314° but if you look on my diagram it is impossible to get this!

What am I doing wrong?!
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by xsweetcherrypiex)
    Hi,
    I'm really bad at bearings and mechanics in general and I can't get the right answer to this question. Please help!

A man walks 5 km from O on a bearing of 290° to a point A. He then walks a further distance of 2 km on a bearing of 045° to a point B. Find the distance OB and the bearing of O from B.

Please look at my diagram that I attached and tell me if it is right?
    I got the distance OB right (4.53km) but I can't get the bearing right. Apparently it is 314° but if you look on my diagram it is impossible to get this!

What am I doing wrong?!
    You're not doing anything wrong. As you noted, the bearing can't be 314.

Your diagram looks fine, as does your reasoning.

Assuming you have the question down correctly, then there's an error somewhere in the book.

ReputationRep:
    You have drawn the bearing from B to O, not the bearing from O to B. Think about the angle between the North line above O and B is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben121)
    You have drawn the bearing from B to O, not the bearing from O to B. Think about the angle between the North line above O and B is.
    But I thought when it says the bearing of O from B, they mean the clockwise angle from the North line above B to O, since it is from B to O?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You're not doing anything wrong. As you noted, the bearing can't be 314.

Your diagram looks fine, as does your reasoning.

Assuming you have the question down correctly, then there's an error somewhere in the book.
    Thank you! Mechanics always gets me really worried!

ReputationRep:
    how did you get the distance of OB
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by BrightStar57)
    how did you get the distance of OB
    Work out the angles, and then use the cosine rule.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou xx, but please could you show me how to work out the angles am reallyyy baad at bearings and seriously need some mega help ....

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.