Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many pages can you read a day? (of an academic book) Watch

ReputationRep:
    As we approach the business end of the University year I have realised just how little reading i've done and the need for me to catch up. This begs the question, how many pages of a relatively complicated academic text can you read a day, of say a standard business/economics textbook like Lipsey & Crystal?

I find it hard to read and digest more than 10 pages in a session. And I find 10 pages can take up to an hour to understand. Especially when trying to get my head around some of the more complicated macroeconomic concepts and models.

Any tips and advice greatly welcomed and rewarded with reps .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if its relatively complicated and you really want to understand it... then few I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Brain training.

There's reading and daydreaming, you can sometimes go pages without really paying attention.

Diet, health, time of day, will all effect your ability to digest info. Also, you really need to sleep on it TWO nights in a row for it to sink in.

ReputationRep:
    I find I learn more between the hours of 11pm and 2am. So my best reading is done then. Can get a couple of journals done.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent insight- I often find myself reading pages but day dreaming and feeling like nothing is going in!

Truth be told, i'm not very good at reading. My mind always seems to wonder off and I end up not comitting the text to memory and understanding it.

Any tips for avoiding this?

(Original post by chrislpp)
    Brain training.

There's reading and daydreaming, you can sometimes go pages without really paying attention.

Diet, health, time of day, will all effect your ability to digest info. Also, you really need to sleep on it TWO nights in a row for it to sink in.

ReputationRep:
    Very true. I have often had to re-read a chapter because I was aiming to read the text as quickly as possible but at the end I realised I didn't understand any of it! So quality over quantity.. frequent breaks, lack of destractions, quiet study area etc may all help?

(Original post by Absinth)
    The most important thing is understanding the concept, rather than how many pages you read. The number of pages is irrelevant. It would be a good idea to to find the same concept in several other textbooks that explain it more clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav434)
    Very true. I have often had to re-read a chapter because I was aiming to read the text as quickly as possible but at the end I realised I didn't understand any of it! So quality over quantity.. frequent breaks, lack of destractions, quiet study area etc may all help?
    You should make notes, paraphrase what you are reading.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea! Out of interest, do most people make notes and paraphrase when reading? Do you keep the notes you make and refer back to them as revision tools, or merely discard them when the information has sunk in.

(Original post by lazy smurf)
    You should make notes, paraphrase what you are reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav434)
    Good idea! Out of interest, do most people make notes and paraphrase when reading? Do you keep the notes you make and refer back to them as revision tools, or merely discard them when the information has sunk in.
    Everyone has a different learning style, there are books on it! :cool:

You just have to find what works for you, Id suggest keeping your notes, unless you have a brilliant memory which can quote references.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.