Turn on thread page Beta

Should horror films be banned? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrStick)
    Woot! Glad to see I'm not in my own world. Seems like our thoughts about horror movies are EXACTLY the same. Like, why would I want to waste 2 hours of my life watching how 2 people are stuck in some room and end up dying in a retarded way. (i.e. SAW =P) Or how people look in the mirror and their reflect picks up a piece of broken glass, cuts their neck and the real person dies or something. And like you said, the main theme of a man in a mask. Horror movies can't come close when compared to Taken. :cool:

Even Pirates of the Caribbean is much better than horror movies. It's a trilogy (for now) that you can watch a lot of times. I find it sad that people watch certain horror movies several times in a row.
    A-men bro, it's just pretty pointless imo - and sick, not as much a film as an exhibition of pain and torture in gritty realism :/ even if you watch Saw just for the story and plot to it.... it's just so nasty, it's centred around the gruesomeness

meh, maybe I just don't get films like that but whatever. Glad I don't have to waste my time watching them

ReputationRep:
    No way!!! Horror movies are great

ReputationRep:
    Horror movies are pointless and absolutely boring. Waste of time and money.
    That's my opinion. NEVER been interested in horror movies. Don't know what the 'hype' is about them. >_>
    Whose money? And, if it isn't public money, what is your justification for presuming to know how to spend it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Whose money? And, if it isn't public money, what is your justification for presuming to know how to spend it?
    What are you on about getting all technical?
    I don't think this is a question that needs to be answered. Seems pointless.

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting question, and it's certainly not as black and white as some people in this thread seem to be trying to make out. The first point that you have to accept is that media can influence people. All too readily people want to claim responsibility for positive influences, to say they have inspired or uplifted. But whenever something is accused of a negative influence people quickly say that's nonsense and the person must have had a predisposition. It cannot work both ways and people need to accept this.

The question then is whether you can justify banning something made for enjoyment that has the potential to promote violence and murder. To my mind, the answer is no; at least, not without banning far more obvious offenders such as alcohol first.

So what can you do? Film regulators need to be given more respect. If we are to value film as a creative medium and still try and control it's release, then the gatekeepers need to be valued. They should be cast into the spotlight more, and the public educated to their roles and successes rather than just hearing about their shortcomings. Out of the last ten years, the only two stories most people have heard about film censors are probably the 12A-Spiderman 2 debacle and the fuss in America over Blue Valentine, stories which only belittle the censors.

The media cannot claim a moral outrage if they do nothing to support the safeguarding systems the film community has in place, and as a people we need to remember that freedom of speech carries responsibilities.

Woot! Glad to see I'm not in my own world. Seems like our thoughts about horror movies are EXACTLY the same. Like, why would I want to waste 2 hours of my life watching how 2 people are stuck in some room and end up dying in a retarded way. (i.e. SAW =P) Or how people look in the mirror and their reflect picks up a piece of broken glass, cuts their neck and the real person dies or something. And like you said, the main theme of a man in a mask. Horror movies can't come close when compared to Taken. :cool:

Even Pirates of the Caribbean is much better than horror movies. It's a trilogy (for now) that you can watch a lot of times. I find it sad that people watch certain horror movies several times in a row.
    Please, tell me something that you enjoy. I want to ignorantly stereotype and generally seem like a **** while I insult it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Censored, yes. Banned, no.
    I completely agree with this. I'm a massive horror movie fan and as long as the films are correctly censored then there's nothing for people to complain about. Don't like them-don't watch them!

Fair enough there may be many disturbing, highly violent, loosely plotted and bad acted horror films out there but the same can be said for every other genre and you wouldn't consider banning those.

Also, as far as the argument about violence in the media and its effect on people goes... the majority of people can watch a film without going out and copying it. You can't just blame media, there's lots of other factors.

If you go back to the very first horror films, this genre has always had a lot of stick, but when done right it's a great form of entertainment

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    What would I laugh at if there were no more horror films like 'Prom Night'?!
    It was so bad, it still brings a tear of joy to my eye.. :')

ReputationRep:
    But seriously why would you want to censor or ban them? it such a good genre. and it takes a certain kind of mind to make a movie that will scare the crap out of an audience. imo its def an art form.

ReputationRep:
    What? No, some of the greatest films of all time are horror films. Banning a whole genre is just stupid, and horror films, even crap ones, are some of the most watched films.

There are some films, like Hostel and that "Serbian Film" I've heard about that are just unnecessarily violent and sexually explicit, I really don't see the point in making a film merely for shock value but... people have to right to make whatever they want as long as no-one is harmed, films are an art form, so banning something is probably a bit harsh.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are no real arguments for the banning of horror films

ReputationRep:
    I dislike horror films, but no I don't think they should be banned. Like mentioned earlier, that would be like banning a genre of music, genre of book, etc. Some people will always like them, so just leave them to it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god no!
    Some movies aren't so good, but that's the same with every genre o-o
    I love classic horrors, with effects so bad you end up laughing, like The Evil Dead, or Village of the Damned.
    Before my time, but so awesome!
    Recent hood horror movie - Severance w. Danny Dyer

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how this is a valid argument? Why would they be?

Should...the colour orange be banned?

ReputationRep:
    All footage of The Strangers should be destroyed imo.

ReputationRep:
    Lolololololololololololololololo lololololololololollolololololol olololololollolololololololololo lolollolololololololololololollo lololololololololololollolololol olololololololollolololololololo lolololollololololololololololol ollolololololololololololollolol olololololololololollolololololo lolololololollololololololololol ololollololololololololololololl olololololololololololollolololo lolololololololollololololololol ololololollololololololololololo lollolololololololololololollolo lolololololololololollololololol ololololololollololololololololo lololollolololololololololololol lolololololololololololollololol ololololololololollololololololo lololololollolololololololololol olollolololololololololololollol ololololololololololollololololo lololololololollolololololololol olololollolololololololololololo llolololololololololololollololo lololololololololollolololololol olololololollolololololololololo lolollolololololololololololollo lololololololololololollolololol olololololololollolololololololo lolololollololololololololololol ollolololololololololololollolol olololololololololollolololololo lolololololollololololololololol ololollololololololololololololl olololololololololololollolololo lolololololololollololololololol ololololollololololololololololo lollolololololololololololollolo lolololololololololollololololol ololololololollololololololololo lololollolololololololololololol lolololololololololololollololol ololololololololollololololololo lololololollolololololololololol olollolololololololololololollol ololololololololololollololololo lololololololollolololololololol olololollolololololololololololo llolololololololololololollololo lololololololololollolololololol olololololollolololololololololo lolollolololololololololololollo lololololololololololollolololol olololololololollolololololololo lolololollololololololololololol ollolololololololololololollolol olololololololololollolololololo lolololololollololololololololol ololollololololololololololololl olololololololololololollolololo lolololololololol

ReputationRep:
    First, in many cases is really difficult to define whether a movie could be considered an horror or not. How do you classify "Rosemary's Baby" ? Probably you wouldn't say it's an horror, but I'm sure by some people it was considered so, at its time.
    Second, I think this thread, and similar discussions, arise from the common misconception of "horror= crappy movie" which is often true, but not always. There are a lot of good horror movies (like the previously cited Rosemary's Baby, or Romero's films, even the latest ones) which unfortunately are not well promoted.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.