Turn on thread page Beta

Is my brother breaking the law? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically we live on a farm and an old building that used to be a house was converted to my house by my brother, He is now living in it and pays half the council tax to my mum and half of all bills although does not live in the same house, I am assuming he doesn't pay for all these for the separate house he's living in like he's supposed to?

Just wondering if this is illegal and if so what would be the consequences if found out?

I won't tell anyone, but just interested.

Thanks for any help
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If it is I doubt you would get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If it is I doubt you would get caught.
    Agreed, but just wondering if anyone knows.

ReputationRep:
    £20 FINE

ReputationRep:
    If he's paying council tax for the house he's now living in then the house would be registered, right?

ReputationRep:
    Did he have planning permission for the house?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure, but if it is liable, the council can backdate the invoice

ReputationRep:
    Well he would probably need planning permission to convert it into a house in the first instance.

Also it depends on what the councils definition of a separate household is, or whether it would be classed as an out building of the original house, etc.

My guess it that you would have to pay, since the council is not going to pass up on free money is it?

Anyway, probably better to ask someone more qualified to answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Did he have planning permission for the house?
    As far as im aware you dont need planning permission to modify the interior of an existing building. Though if he registered it as a seperate home then that would require planning permission and all kinds of complicated legal hooey such as boundries and address registrations ect.

It all depends on whether he has registered the building as a seperate dwelling (which sounds unlikely). If it is though and your brother is not paying full council tax on it, then yes, he would be breaking the law. If its not then its still part of the overall property and i dont think any laws are being broken. Technically he is still a member of the household, he just happens to spend most of his time in a rather plush out building.

Thats my interpretation of it anyway, dont quote me on it, im not a lawyer or an estate agent.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.