Turn on thread page Beta

Will I get into Physics at Oxbridge?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in year twelve and am pretty sure I want to apply to do physics at either Oxbridge or Imperial this year. Just wondering what you think of my chances and what I can do to strengthen my application. :confused: I think I should have a good shot but the competition sounds pretty fierce.
    Here are my details:

-Currently Studying: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
    -GCSE Grades: 12 A*s, 1 A
    -I am doing a Headstart engineering course in Birmingham in the summer. Not Physics I know but sort of related.
    -I am going to do work experience at a helicopter factory in the summer.
    -I try to read around the subject- Stephen Hawking, Brian Cox, John Gribbin etc
    -I am fairly active in School- teach lower school maths classes.

Thanks for any feedback

ReputationRep:
    I think you know the answer already.

Of course you've got a great chance, just make sure your PS is written well.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks mate, just read it back and it does sounds a bit complacent/ cocky lol. I was just trying to get some advice after seeing some stats on how hard ot is to get in!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno what you expect us all to say- you have great grades and are doing everything possible to research your subject. Keep going and aim for 90%+ UMS in your AS levels if aiming for Cambridge.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You'll very likely get an interview, but no one on here can tell you whether you'll actually get in or not as we don't know how you'll come across in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Hawking/ Brian Cox/ John Gribbin?

I advise you to read better literature.

ReputationRep:
    What are your AS and UMS grades like? This will tell you most about your chances. There's no point, for example, having 12 A* and then CCCC at AS (although I doubt you're getting that). Also, how good are you at physics? This may sound like a daft question, but there's a big difference between getting fantastic grades because you're clever, and getting fantastic grades because you locked yourself in your room for 16 hours a day and worked like hell for three months.

I doubt you could improve your application much to be honest - just get good at thinking outside the box, solving 'unusual' problems, and talking intelligently and enthusiastically about your subject. It may be worth getting some less 'popular' books too; the ones you've mentioned are very approachable, which is not bad to get you interested in a subject, but doesn't necessarily show that much intellectual depth.

ReputationRep:
    it's all down to your aptitude test + potential interview if you go for Oxford, your grades & personal statement hardly matter.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Spoiler:
    Show
    In all honesty, I don't know, but figured it's best to prepare for the worst.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, your academic profile should be more than good enough to get you an interview at Oxford and IC (I have no experience with Cambrdige).
    That is assuming your AS grades, A2 predictions, and reference are all excellent.

But your aptitude test (Oxford) and interviews performance will ultimately be the deciding factor. So far I think you stand almost as good a chance as you possibly could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy94)
    I am in year twelve and am pretty sure I want to apply to do physics at either Oxbridge or Imperial this year. Just wondering what you think of my chances and what I can do to strengthen my application. :confused: I think I should have a good shot but the competition sounds pretty fierce.
    Here are my details:

-I am doing a Headstart engineering course in Birmingham in the summer. Not Physics I know but sort of related.

Thanks for any feedback
    You will get in 100%.

ReputationRep:
    Here are my details:

Thanks for any feedback
    Your school lets you teach KS3 maths unsupervised? For real?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Your school lets you teach KS3 maths unsupervised? For real?
    I call serious BS on that one

ReputationRep:
    Here are my details:

Thanks for any feedback
    You will definitely get an interview but your performance on it will play a crucial part. When I went to my engineering interview at Imperial College, there were loads of clearly smart people with outstanding backgrounds ( thousands of A* , Olympiad winners, all sorts of extra- curriculums etc...). However during the interviews they tested if we really were worth our achievements and this was a deciding factor regarding offers/rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewiseone)
    I call serious BS on that one
    I imagine by 'teach lower school classes' he probably means 'help out with revision sessions in my free time'. I've done that for sociology but I'd never be allowed to teach AS on my own

I can't imagine any school would allow a student to teach other students in classroom time.

That said, I went to a school where for a while we were taught KS3 English and history by a teacher with no degree or qualifications. He also taught GCSE English apparently. Madness...

ReputationRep:
    Yes I give the younger kids extra help outside of lessons, don't actually take lessons :L

Yes I give the younger kids extra help outside of lessons, don't actually take lessons :L
    It really wouldn't make any bearing on your application:

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissio...plications.htm

Motivation: a real interest and strong desire to learn physics.
    Ability to express physical ideas using mathematics; mathematical ability.
    Reasoning ability: ability to analyse and solve problems using logical and critical approaches.
    Physical intuition: an ability to see how one part of a physical system connects with another; and to predict what will happen in a given physical situation.
    Communication: ability to give precise explanations both orally and numerically.

You may argue you're fulfilling the fifth objective, however this will be seen at interview, i.e. if you can "prove" you are able to communicate explanations orally and numerically. It's different explaining an idea to a younger kid than to your prospective tutors.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it

ReputationRep:
    Since no one else has mentioned it yet I feel I should.

you may get into to physics at oxford but you wont be able to do a physics degree at cambridge

(Original post by VaVe)
    Since no one else has mentioned it yet I feel I should.

you may get into to physics at oxford but you wont be able to do a physics degree at cambridge
    What the ****? Perhaps no one said that because it's bull****. Who says he can't do Cambridge Physics? Cambridge should be the judge of that.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.