Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having trouble connecting to Durham university's "J Drive" at home Watch

ReputationRep:
    I go to Durham Uni. We have some form of networked hard drive you can access from computers all over the campus. To access it on your own PC you have to "map a network drive", as described here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/lan/connect_jdrive/windows/

However, I've now gone home, and am wondering if it's still going to be possible to connect to that drive, as it has all my work on. It works fine from this PC when I'm on campus, but now I'm home it's not.

Could someone let me know a way to test whether it's a problem on my end or if the server is broken?

ReputationRep:
    Contact your uni tech support. It'll probably be that when you're on campus you're connected to the Durham uni network so you can access it but when you're at home the uni's firewall will probably be stopping you from connecting.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to be within the uni network, as Delaney has said. See if they offer a VPN service- that's probably the only way you'll be able to access local network resources from outside.

Edit: in fact, this might work.

ReputationRep:
    Ask your IT Dept. It's possible that for security reasons, it's only accessible via the Durham Uni LAN or WAN (which is applicable).

ReputationRep:
    A networked drive will only be accessible within the local network, in this case your university. To connect to the server from outside the local server, you will need to connect via FTP or a VPN. However, this must be setup by the IT department. You cannot just connect to a networked from outside the local network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)
    I go to Durham Uni. We have some form of networked hard drive you can access from computers all over the campus. To access it on your own PC you have to "map a network drive", as described here:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/lan/connect_jdrive/windows/

However, I've now gone home, and am wondering if it's still going to be possible to connect to that drive, as it has all my work on. It works fine from this PC when I'm on campus, but now I'm home it's not.

Could someone let me know a way to test whether it's a problem on my end or if the server is broken?
    You can connect from home using FTP of SFTP over SSH.

For SSH, use your ITS username and password, the server is: vega.dur.ac.uk
    For FTP the same, but the server is ftp.dur.ac.uk

I don't know if you can connect to ftp or ssh in windows normally, if not you will need to download a client. Try FileZilla for FTP.

ReputationRep:
    double post, sorry

ReputationRep:
    If you want to mount a SFTP drive as a network share, you could always use Expandrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westie.)
    If you want to mount a SFTP drive as a network share, you could always use Expandrive.
    I use ExpanDrive to mount my Warwick drive at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    You'll need to be within the uni network, as Delaney has said. See if they offer a VPN service- that's probably the only way you'll be able to access local network resources from outside.

Edit: in fact, this might work.
    Worked perfectly so far. Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.