Turn on thread page Beta

Petrol Money watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much would you charge a friend for a 30-35 min drive to school?

ReputationRep:
    Work out your actual petrol costs then halve it...

ReputationRep:
    Lets say your car does 30 - 35 MPG

1 gallon = around £6

So £3

Woops fail maths

It's still probably around 2 pound actually

ReputationRep:

lawl downrated by some tight ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothpaste kisses)
    How much would you charge a friend for a 30-35 min drive to school?
    Don't be so bloody tight - aren't you going to the same place? Unless they're really fat charge them nothing.

ReputationRep:
    If they life on route nothing. if not work out roughly how much extra the diversion would cost

ReputationRep:
    If you were going to school anyway, then don't charge them; that's really harsh! If you made a special trip, charge for the petrol and the labour involved.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going there anyway, then do it for free.
    If your literally just driving them there, then a couple of quid should cover it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...
    I tend to charge nothing or like 50p if I need change but my friend who lives up the road from me charges like £3.50 or something ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone charge their friend petrol money if they are going to the same place. Seems real tight to me.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if the other people would have to pay normally to get bus/train and the person driving has to pay for petrol as well as general running costs of his car then the friends should offer money

I'd feel guilty if i didn't. I don't drive but always offer petrol money or at least something like i'll buy the first round of drinks or pay for the tennis court hire or whatever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    Why would anyone charge their friend petrol money if they are going to the same place. Seems real tight to me.
    Not really, petrol, insurance and maintainance all add up. There is no reason why you should have to pay for all of those, then someone who gets a lift ends up contributing nothing and saving themselves the cost of the bus/train, it's not fair on you as they're getting to school for free and you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Better yet, save literally pennies by not having any mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    On the other side of the coin, why would ANYONE let their friend go through the expense and bother of taking their lessons, passing their test, buying a car, taxing a car, insuring a car, MOTing a car, maintaining a car, fueling a car and so on and so forth, and then take full advantage of that by getting lifts for free?

Anybody who would have their friend pay so many thousands of pounds, and then take advantage of it to save themselves a poxy bus fare is not anyone that I would call a friend.
    In the end nearly everyone goes through the process of driving and paying all of those expenses. All I am saying is that I would never ask for petrol money if I am going in the same direction as them and it's a journey I would normally take by myself.

If you saw a friend walking on their way to school but you knew they were broke, would you drive straight past them?

ReputationRep:
    If you offered a lift, do it for free. If they asked, charge a nominal fee like £2. Alternatively, ask for a pint, seems much less petty than asking for a few quid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    But the issue is when you are young, and only a few of your peer group have taken the bother and expense of getting a licence and a car. At that stage in life it is unfair for those who haven't done so to be bussed around like royalty free of charge, completely at the expense of people who have already spent thousands of pounds to give them the honour.

If this is car sharing, and the OP is driving to school every day, or even every week, a 35-40 minute drive isn't a short trip to the shops, that's a good whack of petrol. The same trip in a taxi is probably in the region of £15-£25, and you expect this person to get it for free?

If it was a one-off thing, then I probably would. But I wouldn't then pick them up every day and drive them to school free of charge because that would be unfair on me.
    Clearly you are not going to pick up someone whom you know but have never had a conversation with in your life, but I'm talking about friends here. I would understand if it would cost an extra few pounds to pick someone up, but there are no extra expenses at all.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.