Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How strict are they, because I know basic car control, clutch control, hill starts and so on. I will not let them go through it again just to gain the company more money, do they listen when you tell them that you've done certain things before??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    How strict are they, because I know basic car control, clutch control, hill starts and so on. I will not let them go through it again just to gain the company more money, do they listen when you tell them that you've done certain things before??
    I can only speak for myself. Yes, I listen, but the proof is when you do it and do it correctly. I have seen a number of pupils who say they can do things but don't do them properly as far as I am concerned. For example, setting the gas. Some instructors teach that you should set them at say 1500 rpm. I teach my pupils to 'feel' it. It's a 'fault' that I would correct because in my opinion the latter is correct and the former is wrong.

I have no intention ever of covering old ground just to make more money. My reputation is far more important to me than the few bucks I might make by cheating my pupils. However I am the instructor and although a pupil may think they know what they need, it is my job to know what they need and teach them accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    I can only speak for myself. Yes, I listen, but the proof is when you do it and do it correctly. I have seen a number of pupils who say they can do things but don't do them properly as far as I am concerned. For example, setting the gas. Some instructors teach that you should set them at say 1500 rpm. I teach my pupils to 'feel' it. It's a 'fault' that I would correct because in my opinion the latter is correct and the former is wrong.

I have no intention ever of covering old ground just to make more money. My reputation is far more important to me than the few bucks I might make by cheating my pupils. However I am the instructor and although a pupil may think they know what they need, it is my job to know what they need and teach them accordingly.
    Thanks for the insight.

So for example, if the lesson was on basic car control, lets say I completely aced it, would you still go over it again?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the insight.

So for example, if the lesson was on basic car control, lets say I completely aced it, would you still go over it again?
    If someone has had some driving experience I would take them out for an assessment first. It would become very apparent very quickly if they needed a lesson on basic car control. Unlike some driving instructors I don't apply a blanket approach - I tailor lessons to the needs of the pupil, which can only be worked out once an assessment is underway. Unfortunately it is the case that sometimes the tale that I am told by a pupil doesn't quite tally with the driving experience that comes from the assessment. Usually intuition warns me beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases, people say they can do things and clearly can't - or have learnt bad habits, and therefore I'm not surprised if the instructors wants to go over it again!

ReputationRep:
    If someone has had some driving experience I would take them out for an assessment first. It would become very apparent very quickly if they needed a lesson on basic car control. Unlike some driving instructors I don't apply a blanket approach - I tailor lessons to the needs of the pupil, which can only be worked out once an assessment is underway. Unfortunately it is the case that sometimes the tale that I am told by a pupil doesn't quite tally with the driving experience that comes from the assessment. Usually intuition warns me beforehand.
    Quickest someone has learnt to pass their test ( hours )

Everyone I know done it in 30 or less.....

but they say average is 50 hours ....

ReputationRep:
    Quickest someone has learnt to pass their test ( hours )

Everyone I know done it in 30 or less.....

but they say average is 50 hours ....

The learners need to have as much patience as the instructor has to have for the learner. For example the instructor may be like you should have done this or that when you already knew and were about to do it.

ReputationRep:

I passed my test 7 weeks ago at Southport on my 2nd attempt. The trouble is though the insurance for my age (19). I have researched loads of different insurances company's and compared the market but the quotes are sky high. My brother is 20 and held his license for 2 years and said i could be a named driver on his policy but as he has had a few claims I doubt I'd get it cheaper anyway. A 1.3 ford fiesta zetec would cost me about £5,000 per year. I need something cheaper, I am going to pay it monthly instead of yearly. Also I know younger new drivers can get cheaper insurance by getting one of those box things were you have to drive within certain times but I don't want that, I want the freedom to drive where I want, when I want.

Basically I just wondered if as an instructor if you knew of anything i could perhaps try? £3000,£4000 max per year suits me on a ...

Renault Clio
    Vauxhall Corsa
    Toyota yaris
    Ford focus
    Volkswagen Golf/polo

just a nice, modern looking low engine cheap to insure car would be good.. thanks Em

ReputationRep:
    When I started driving lessons, I could already drive very well. I had 6 hours of lessons and my main reason for taking them was that I wanted to make sure that I could do things like carrying out the maneouvres and checking my mirrors correctly for the test. My instructor was great, he asked me what I could do already, how I felt about my driving and then got me driving a route around town and carrying out maneouvres so he could see where I needed help and so on. I never once had a lesson on basic car control with him and passed first time.

Just make sure you ask around your friends before choosing an instructor - find out who they had, what they thought of them and how many lessons they had.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.
    Its like when i was having my driving lessons and i got rid of my 1st instructor (who, lets just say was a load of rubbish), my instructor had a lesson seeing what i could and couldnt do. Plus sometimes some people say to instructors that they can do stuff when they clearly cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    I passed my test 7 weeks ago at Southport on my 2nd attempt. The trouble is though the insurance for my age (19). I have researched loads of different insurances company's and compared the market but the quotes are sky high. My brother is 20 and held his license for 2 years and said i could be a named driver on his policy but as he has had a few claims I doubt I'd get it cheaper anyway. A 1.3 ford fiesta zetec would cost me about £5,000 per year. I need something cheaper, I am going to pay it monthly instead of yearly. Also I know younger new drivers can get cheaper insurance by getting one of those box things were you have to drive within certain times but I don't want that, I want the freedom to drive where I want, when I want.

Basically I just wondered if as an instructor if you knew of anything i could perhaps try? £3000,£4000 max per year suits me on a ...

Renault Clio
    Vauxhall Corsa
    Toyota yaris
    Ford focus
    Volkswagen Golf/polo

just a nice, modern looking low engine cheap to insure car would be good.. thanks Em
    I wish I could help but I'm largly in the same boat. I have one son aged 20 who has held his licence for 6 months and one who is 17 and just learning. Trying to get insurance for either or both is a nightmare. The best I can suggest is to ring the insurance companies rather than using the internet. Marmalade, Collingwood, Admiral, Aviva, Quinn are all people that I've heard good reports of. There are lots of threads here giving advice on insurance. If you haven't done Passplus, think about it.

Personally I think that the insurance companies should actually try to fix the problem of high risk young drivers rather than just bleeding them dry of every penny they have - stupid!

Sorry I can't help further but if you find a good deal, please let me know

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could help but I'm largly in the same boat. I have one son aged 20 who has held his licence for 6 months and one who is 17 and just learning. Trying to get insurance for either or both is a nightmare. The best I can suggest is to ring the insurance companies rather than using the internet. Marmalade, Collingwood, Admiral, Aviva, Quinn are all people that I've heard good reports of. There are lots of threads here giving advice on insurance. If you haven't done Passplus, think about it.

Personally I think that the insurance companies should actually try to fix the problem of high risk young drivers rather than just bleeding them dry of every penny they have - stupid!

Sorry I can't help further but if you find a good deal, please let me know

Will do, thanks anyway Em

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.