ReputationRep:
    the title pretty much sums it up

ReputationRep:
    PC

ReputationRep:
    PS3. I mean Blu ray, c'mon.

ReputationRep:
    Xbox 360

Better games, cheaper, better controller. Most of the best games are made on Xbox 360 and ported to PS3 so they usually always look better on Xbox. Xbox is also supposedly much easier for developers to make games for so that is why the graphics are usually better despite the fact it actually has inferior hardware. Having said that the GPU in the Xbox 360 is still superior the PS3 one.

ReputationRep:
    xbox for shooters, ps3 for fifa. xbox has better graphics but ps3 has a better community.

however i did sell my xbox a month ago and it was the best decision ive ever made :P

ReputationRep:
    PC will generally serve you better in my opinion, but it is overall a question of budget.

PC will have a large up front cost but games can be up to 20 quid a game cheaper than consoles (and a 40 quid a year less than xbox) so you can make up on that cost pretty quickly and PC games use AA, DLC is usually free (and because of this reason some games don't make it for PC incase this bothers you), Mods, Dedicated servers, cheaper upgrade path

PS3 has no online fees (unless you want PSPlus which is virtually no more features than normal PSN) so will gain a 40 quid a year advantage over xbox

Xbox has similar upfront fees to PS3 and usually has first access to DLC (by a month) No benefit over PS3 as far as I can see except the Gears of war series and a more comfortable controller.

I have a PS3 and a (currently not working) PC. PC is by far the most versatile machine and can be used for many tasks other than games. Don't beat around the bush with bluray as you can get bluray on PC.

PS3 vs Xbox Myths

(Original post by Poem boy)
    Xbox 360 Better games, cheaper, better controller. Most of the best games are made on Xbox 360 and ported to PS3 so they usually always look better on Xbox. Xbox is also supposedly much easier for developers to make games for so that is why the graphics are usually better despite the fact it actually has inferior hardware. Having said that the GPU in the Xbox 360 is still superior the PS3 one.
    Better games - A matter of opinion, most are multi format
    cheaper - upfront but not overall
    better controller - admittedly for me yes
    ps3 games are 360 ports - BS. Maybe at first when the API was new to game dev.s but it is much simpler to make a program from scratch than port it.
    Inferior Hardware - another BS. 360 has 3 processors, PS3 has 6 usable ones, GPU is completely comparable the GPU in PS3 is an older architecture but performs the same as ATI was worse than nVidia.
    Better graphics - another BS. They are exactly the same, Xbox has a minimum 720p res. PS3 doesn't, but it upscales everything to a higher resolution so you don't notice except on HUGE screens and most games are min 720p anyway.

The GPU in the PS3 and Xbox are based on a 7 and 6 year old architecture respectively (both of which have near identical performance i may add) which can barely run a modern windows installation on a PC, the CPU is comparable to a PC CPU today, the PC has much more memory ie 4GB agains 0.5 GB.

ReputationRep:
    Xbox 360 - Blu ray isn't enough of a reason to change to PS3 and now with kinect out there's a massive reason to choose xbox over playstation

ReputationRep:
    im not really sure to be honest but for some games i would say xbox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsmccusker)
    PC will generally serve you better in my opinion, but it is overall a question of budget.

PC will have a large up front cost but games can be up to 20 quid a game cheaper than consoles (and a 40 quid a year less than xbox) so you can make up on that cost pretty quickly and PC games use AA, DLC is usually free (and because of this reason some games don't make it for PC incase this bothers you), Mods, Dedicated servers, cheaper upgrade path

PS3 has no online fees (unless you want PSPlus which is virtually no more features than normal PSN) so will gain a 40 quid a year advantage over xbox

Xbox has similar upfront fees to PS3 and usually has first access to DLC (by a month) No benefit over PS3 as far as I can see except the Gears of war series and a more comfortable controller.

I have a PS3 and a (currently not working) PC. PC is by far the most versatile machine and can be used for many tasks other than games. Don't beat around the bush with bluray as you can get bluray on PC.

PS3 vs Xbox Myths

Better games - A matter of opinion, most are multi format
    cheaper - upfront but not overall
    better controller - admittedly for me yes
    ps3 games are 360 ports - BS. Maybe at first when the API was new to game dev.s but it is much simpler to make a program from scratch than port it.
    Inferior Hardware - another BS. 360 has 3 processors, PS3 has 6 usable ones, GPU is completely comparable the GPU in PS3 is an older architecture but performs the same as ATI was worse than nVidia.
    Better graphics - another BS. They are exactly the same, Xbox has a minimum 720p res. PS3 doesn't, but it upscales everything to a higher resolution so you don't notice except on HUGE screens and most games are min 720p anyway.

The GPU in the PS3 and Xbox are based on a 7 and 6 year old architecture respectively (both of which have near identical performance i may add) which can barely run a modern windows installation on a PC, the CPU is comparable to a PC CPU today, the PC has much more memory ie 4GB agains 0.5 GB.
    Thank you, somebody whos not baised, i'm tired of x-box fan boys using the same unfounded arguments over n over most of which based on opinions.

I have a ps3, but if i had the money to spare i'd prefer a top rig gaming pc and i like the 360 for certain things but its irritating listening to the "My console is the best yours is ****" arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maveryck)
    Xbox 360 - Blu ray isn't enough of a reason to change to PS3 and now with kinect out there's a massive reason to choose xbox over playstation
    Kinect is fun for a group but it is no substitute for a game pad. Ps move is rather good because it is more precise and you get actual feedback. Neither are perfect but for proper gaming ps move is better. But if you play large group games kinect is much better.

ReputationRep:
    xbox

ReputationRep:
    xbox by a mile

no contestant

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    no contestant
    No.. contestant? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    PC
    0_o

Why do people always say this.

Yes, we know a decent PC is going to be better. No one cares because it's too bloody expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsmccusker)
    Kinect is fun for a group but it is no substitute for a game pad. Ps move is rather good because it is more precise and you get actual feedback. Neither are perfect but for proper gaming ps move is better. But if you play large group games kinect is much better.
    I prefer ps3, but move is a complete fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    I prefer ps3, but move is a complete fail.
    I have used both and i prefer move, not simply because it is on ps3 but because it gives the user feedback. Although my move experience is limited to KZ3 and my kinect experince being buggering about at GAME, with the kinect i can't get it to work properly, mainly because I am tall and need to have the camera very far away to see my body, i also dislike the annoying thing where you have to hold your hand in the exact same place to "push" a button - i mean couldn't they have coded in a specific hand gesture or something.

I mainly like move as it can be used for games i like to play, i mean how is kinect gonna work in the likes of COD? or any other shooter or adventure game. It would be awesome for strategy games though (which i like but on pc), there are many good points and many bad points for the motion controls but i prefer a tangible controller myself. Unfortunately for both, you need a huge room for it to work as if you are too close there is too much interference (or something).

PS. I know move fails, but kinect fails more.

ReputationRep:
    Xbox all the way, there's nothing quite like it :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Ps3 got sued by LG for copying the blu ray but I hav PS3 so it's so kl
    Get BATTLEFIELD 3
    man it's SO GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
    graphics is better than COD 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    0_o

Why do people always say this.

Yes, we know a decent PC is going to be better. No one cares because it's too bloody expensive.
    LOLWUT

You need to stop talking crap and do a bit of research. So its generally £250 for a PS3, lets say you get 2 games with that - £330.

Following this guide:
    http://i002.photobucket.com/albums/a...uide/Guide.png

You can get a computer from the " good" tier for £370 quid. This build is capable of playing games like fallout NV and Black Ops on max graphic detail (which as it happens is a better quality than either console, as most games are set to 720p because the consoles can't handle anything better) on a 1080p monitor.
    Oh and if you pirate the games are free, or like £20 off steam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwalchgwyn)
    LOLWUT

You need to stop talking crap and do a bit of research. So its generally £250 for a PS3, lets say you get 2 games with that - £330.

Following this guide:
    http://i002.photobucket.com/albums/a...uide/Guide.png

You can get a computer from the " good" tier for £370 quid. This build is capable of playing games like fallout NV and Black Ops on max graphic detail (which as it happens is a better quality than either console, as most games are set to 720p because the consoles can't handle anything better) on a 1080p monitor.
    Oh and if you pirate the games are free, or like £20 off steam.
    Oh the nerd rage.

I don't care............................ ...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.