Who and How will this affect? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I wasn't gonna write what it was in the title, it's going to get deleted, but is it all just Oxbridge places or the little places as well?
I can understand if it isn't just the Oxfords and the Cambridges of this country and they are only highlighting the famous places but how will this affect someone at say Southampton or Sunderland?
I'm feeling a bit stupid, I know I don't like them and I don't like the graduate tax idea either (why should we pay for TVU 2:2's?)
But how will this affect me?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Well? Please, I am confused
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Erm, it'd be nice to know exactly what you're referring to.

With top-up fees, the thing is that places like Oxford and Cambridge want to charge a lot more. And places like Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester... anywhere decent. And the ex-polytechnics will charge less because they aren't as good and people will be willing to pay less.

So it'll make a two-teir system; everyone at a decent uni will be affected I think.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ok, from what i can gather form many garbled news reports, this bill maens that in 2006, universities will be able to charge UP TO £3,000-odd pounds per year, but less if they wish. this applies to all uni's, not just oxbridge ones.

thats right, i think, but probs best not to quote me word for word.

QUESTION: will this affect those already AT uni in 2006? or just htose entering in or after 2006? cos if its while you're there, im gonna have to pay for my 3rd year - bummer
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This doesn't affect people who've already started or who are startting in 2004 ATALL as far as I can tell.

People applying for 2005 might have extra competition because of less people taking gap years.

People starting in 2006 with have to pay the top up fees.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The rumour around campus is that Salford will be charging the £3000 a year and so will most other none ex polys HE colleges. Some of the less popular ex polys may be cheaper and so will HE colleges.

Also the money goes straight to the university I think so the only people who will be paying extra towards TVU is TVU students.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frances)
This doesn't affect people who've already started or who are startting in 2004 ATALL as far as I can tell.

People applying for 2005 might have extra competition because of less people taking gap years.

People starting in 2006 with have to pay the top up fees.
Oh thank god
My dad said if it was going to affect us I was going to have to withdraw all of my applications and get a job this year
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
is it you have to pay all the money AFTER your degree? and it's up to an extra £3000? (starting in 2006)
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
is it you have to pay all the money AFTER your degree? and it's up to an extra £3000? (starting in 2006)
Basically, yeah.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
people should use the internet a bit more lol

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theissues/...128091,00.html
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Oh thank god
My dad said if it was going to affect us I was going to have to withdraw all of my applications and get a job this year
OUCH!

(Original post by tinykates)
and it's up to an extra £3000?
no, up to a MAXIMUM of £3k, not extra
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh thank god
why? u wouldn't have to pay untill you started earning over 15k
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[/Quote]no, up to a MAXIMUM of £3k, not extra[/QUOTE]
£3000 in total? huh? i thought it was on top of what we'd have to pay already :confused:
Muffle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
3k max per year to be paid when your income reaches 15k, debt written off in 25 years after graduation.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh thank god
have any offers yet Dani...BTW long time no c
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
jesus...i provided people with a link and everything... come on
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Muffle)
3k max per year to be paid when your income reaches 15k, debt written off in 25 years after graduation.
ohhhhh per year - ok thanks
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
jesus...i provided people with a link and everything... come on
more fun to talk about it than read that but thanks for the effort
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All universities can charge whatever they like for any course, with a maximum of 3000.

The new proposals take out up-front fees. You only begin to pay back when you graduate. If you earn 15,000 a year you pay back 5 per week.

If, after 25 you still are not earning 15,000, the debts are cancelled.

This only effects students starting in 2006.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
All universities can charge whatever they like for any course, with a maximum of 3000.

The new proposals take out up-front fees. You only begin to pay back when you graduate. If you earn 15,000 a year you pay back 5 per week.

If, after 25 you still are not earning 15,000, the debts are cancelled.

This only effects students starting in 2006.
You mean 25 years after graduation, not at 25 years of age!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads