Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just a quick question.
    Would doing 20 mins of cardio/cardio boxing on alternate days everyday be effective for becoming generally fitter/aid a little weight loss?
    Or do you think it is better to do cardio for longer lengths less often?
    Thank you =]

ReputationRep:
    I expect doing longer sessions is better as your heart rate is likely to get higher. Although, I know that for me, doing smaller sessions more often means I tend to do more work overall as doing long sessions means I give in.

ReputationRep:
    What's ahem cardio boxing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1990)
    Hey, just a quick question.
    Would doing 20 mins of cardio/cardio boxing on alternate days everyday be effective for becoming generally fitter/aid a little weight loss?
    Or do you think it is better to do cardio for longer lengths less often?
    Thank you =]
    It's better to do shorter intense exercise sessions i do believe than longer ones at a low intensity. I can imagine cardio boxing would be good as if you're going to a class it will help keep you motivated and boxing is pretty intense (from the few times i have hit a punch bag lol although i have no idea what that classes are like)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    I expect doing longer sessions is better as your heart rate is likely to get higher. Although, I know that for me, doing smaller sessions more often means I tend to do more work overall as doing long sessions means I give in.
    lol think about it, the harder/more intense you exercise the higher your heart rate will be. After doing a 200m sprint you heart is gonna be beating a lot harder than a mile jog. You cant keep up maximal effort for long periods as you will fatigue so you have to pace yourself and therefore your heart rate will be a less when doing longer sessions

Edit: I'm not exactly a fitness expert but its just common sense + i have read quite a lot on these things before and most people advise keeping exercise sessions under 45minutes to an hour as you will just start eating into muscle for energy then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_23)
    lol think about it, the harder/more intense you exercise the higher your heart rate will be. After doing a 200m sprint you heart is gonna be beating a lot harder than a mile jog. You cant keep up maximal effort for long periods as you will fatigue so you have to pace yourself and therefore your heart rate will be a less when doing longer sessions

Edit: I'm not exactly a fitness expert but its just common sense + i have read quite a lot on these things before and most people advise keeping exercise sessions under 45minutes to an hour as you will just start eating into muscle for energy then
    Fair enough. You are right but that is provided that you put in more effort for the smaller sessions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.