Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You have the metric space N (natural numbers) with distance measured with d(x,y)=|(1/m) -(1/n)|. I have proved that it's a metric space, and i have also shown that every subset of N is open and closed. I need to show that any infinite subset X of N is not sequentially compact. So i know i nedd to show that there exists sequence in X that converges to a point not in X but i don't know how to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishika)
    You have the metric space N (natural numbers) with distance measured with d(x,y)=|(1/m) -(1/n)|. I have proved that it's a metric space, and i have also shown that every subset of N is open and closed. I need to show that any infinite subset X of N is not sequentially compact. So i know i nedd to show that there exists sequence in X that converges to a point not in X but i don't know how to?
    Do you have the equivalence of compactness and sequential compactness for a metric space? If so, you can take singletons as the open cover and as the subset is infinite, the cover doesn't have a finite subcover.

Otherwise, you need to find a sequence in X with no convergent subsequence. The only sequences that converge are those that are eventually constant. Find a sequence in X with the property that no subsequence becomes constant.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that the sequences which converge are eventually constant, because i can't get to that with the definition of convergence; i just get |(1/m) -(1/n)|< e (epsylon)

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that the sequences which converge are eventually constant, because i can't get to that with the definition of convergence; i just get |(1/m) -(1/n)|< e (epsylon)
    If L is the limit of a convergent sequence (x_1, x_2, ...), you can find e>0 so that |(1/L)-(1/k)|<e for all k not equal to L. But there is some N so that n>N => |(1/L)-(1/(x_n))|<e. So the only option is that x_n = L for all n > N.

Or, you can use an equivalent definition of convergence in a metric space (in fact the definition for a topological space). If L is the limit then for any open set U containing L, there is an N so that n>N => x_n is in U. So take U to be {L}.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it helps your thinking, but you could also note that your space is isometric to

{1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...}

with the usual metric on the reals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    If L is the limit of a convergent sequence (x_1, x_2, ...), you can find e>0 so that |(1/L)-(1/k)|<e for all k not equal to L. But there is some N so that n>N => |(1/L)-(1/(x_n))|<e. So the only option is that x_n = L for all n > N.
    I don't really understand the last part. How do you get
    that x_n =L eventually?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand the last part. How do you get
    that x_n =L eventually?
    It's from how I defined e. e is such that |(1/L)-(1/k)|<e => k=L. Take e to be epsilon in the definition of a convergent sequence.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.