Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    <<

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong. I study A-level Spanish, also

1.) How many exams are there per term?
    This is dependant on the exam board used and the subject. (The exam board are the people that write the scripts) In my case we only have 1 at the end of the year and an oral exam in May. Whereas in other subjects such as Geography we had one in the January just past and one in May

2.) Are they throughout the term or at the end of each one? Or even at the end of the whole year?
    End of the whole year, again dependant on exam board and subject.

3.) What's about the coursework? Do you have to write many essays? Please give an example.
    No coursework in Spanish, none in Geography unsure about others. I would imagine there is a big coursework component to Photography and Film. The best thing to do is to find out the exam board that the particular college uses and visit the exam board site to read about what the a-level contains

4.) How is the grade set up? Is it mainly coursework/exam/taking part in discussions in class?
    Totally depends on subject. Most are exams and coursework. Languages have oral exams

5.) Please describe a typical lesson (each subject is different of course).
    Very dependant on teacher.

Our Spanish lessons last an hour and a half.

10 mins: Read and translate newspaper article
    10 mins: chat with teacher and class
    10 mins: teacher explains content of lesson
    20 mins: exercises related to lesson
    10 mins: chat
    30 mins: class discussion/debate

ReputationRep:
    That's no problem! Hope you found them useful. Yes it is good, our college takes an oral approach. We never write notes.

I don't really understand what you mean when you say 'do you study for the whole year or before exams' We are constantly learning but if you mean revising then it is up to the individual.

Languages are intense if you arrive with a GCSE knowledge. However it is hard for me to judge as I arrived with a greater knowledge of the language than GCSE. I will let you know about my German soon though as I am beginning to learn it myself! It will be a much fairer view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izemjo)
    Hi everyone!

Basically, my brother will move to the UK/London and will start to do his A levels from September 2011. Our family is not familiar with the school system in the UK and therefore I would like to ask you some questions about exams and grades (which are not being explained on the school's web page).

He will study Photography, Film Studies, Spanish and German. It would be useful to hear information from students who are studying this subjects already (but feel free to post even if you are not :-) ).

Our questions:
    1.) How many exams are there per term?
    2.) Are they throughout the term or at the end of each one? Or even at the end of the whole year?
    3.) What's about the coursework? Do you have to write many essays? Please give an example.
    4.) How is the grade set up? Is it mainly coursework/exam/taking part in discussions in class?
    5.) Please describe a typical lesson (each subject is different of course).

It really means a lot to us if you would answer those questions! We have to be prepared, haha

Thank you so much! Have a great week!
    Emily
    His choice of A-Levels is quite interesting. Does he intend on doing something related to art or languages in the future? I hope you are aware that the UK has preferrable and non-preferrable A-Level subjects which will become relevant if he is inclined to go to university in the UK.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.