Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsory National Service watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Objet trouvé)
    Exactly. Let's see these "great minds" put up a tent and chop some wood!
    I can do that too. After Oxford I was a Captain in the SAS (TA) for 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I can do that too. After Oxford I was a Captain in the SAS (TA) for 5 years.
    Looks like we have the skills to pay the bills...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I dont know what you're talking about...thats slanderous

reading a paper about pahoehoe lobe inflation appears to be melting my brain though - so i'll blame it on that.
    :rofl: you've spelt it wrong again!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Objet trouvé)
    Exactly. Let's see these "great minds" put up a tent and chop some wood!
    I'm supposedly a "great mind" and i can do both of those things very well indeed, thankyou.

How about making chavs do national service... everyone with an ASBO (excluding pensioners and all the other stupid cases) goes into the army. Anyone watch "Bad Lad's Army"? That concludes the case for teh prosecution, m'lud.

Spiffing. Or not.

ReputationRep:
    I was making light of the notion that intellectuals are incapable of pratical tasks (although a lot of them are)

Don't agree with the Chav idea. Sounds like class snobbery to me. What are you going to do, send off all the people who tuck their trousers into their socks?

(They should be indicted for crimes against fashion but that's another matter)

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge doesn't have the best course in everything, you know? Plenty of the "brightest minds" opt not to go there, most notably when studying medicine, dentistry and vet med.

Also, how will this produce a healthy military and why do we want an obedient population?

ReputationRep:
    Old bean that is a truly rumbunctious suggestion! Despite not having watched a lot of BLA, it did look funny to see their response to the first form of true authority - people do not show respect where due nowadays.

now, mentioning respect...objet.etc.

you really should have considered your words before you said them. On average, your oxbridge student is more sportingly active than a student from any other universities in the country - think about that.

ReputationRep:
    Sportingly active?

Yeuch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    I'm supposedly a "great mind" and i can do both of those things very well indeed, thankyou.

How about making chavs do national service... everyone with an ASBO (excluding pensioners and all the other stupid cases) goes into the army. Anyone watch "Bad Lad's Army"? That concludes the case for teh prosecution, m'lud.

Spiffing. Or not.
    Heh, I'd agree with that. Also all male criminals between the ages of 16 and 28 should be conscripted for the time of their sentence, or two years if their sentence is over that time. An exemption would be made for murderers and rapists, who would just have to serve their time at Her Majesty's pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Heh, I'd agree with that. Also all male criminals between the ages of 16 and 28 should be conscripted for the time of their sentence, or two years if their sentence is over that time. An exemption would be made for murderers and rapists, who would just have to serve their time at Her Majesty's pleasure.
    I would personally prefer to see them all building roads...but aslong as they dont sit on their arses i'm happy.

Yes - sportingly active - since you play intercollegiate sport at oxbridge (and durham too - before anyone mentions it), everyone gets a chance to play whatever sports they like. For example, I play Rugby, Cricket, Squash for college, and used to row - at a "normal" university I would not be given the opportunity to play any of these competitively in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    I would personally prefer to see them all building roads...but aslong as they dont sit on their arses i'm happy.

Yes - sportingly active - since you play intercollegiate sport at oxbridge (and durham too - before anyone mentions it), everyone gets a chance to play whatever sports they like. For example, I play Rugby, Cricket, Squash for college, and used to row - at a "normal" university I would not be given the opportunity to play any of these competitively in the same way.
    ..nor at a "normal" school because of the policies of various governments over many years. there is something ironic about a policy of spending a few thousand million quid to encourage professional sportsmen and at the same time making it much more difficult for ordinary people to exercise or take part in sports. The football pitches on Hackney Marshes are much more important for the future of British sport than Chelsea FC, but that's thge one all the fuss is made about.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, methinks murders and rapists might be better used as moving target practice for the 'national serviced' chavs, a cheap form of mine clearance or as decoys in future secret attacks on oil rich countries.

More seriously, i'm not sure the army would want the dregs of society to deal with (and work with), and that it would be unproffesional to send them to deal with anything even remotely important. Maybe they could just polish army camps for 3 a few years though...

Sending everyone off for 3-6 months or whatnot for a national service type thing (some politician was harping on about that some time ago) seems like a good idea, including all the hairdressers and limp wristed academic types at oxbridge. Fitness, discipline and teamwork wouldn't go amiss on a lot of ppl nowdays.

ReputationRep:
    True. It sounds a bit conservative and "young-people-these-days", but I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I say that we make all males who are not in University, the army, or in a stable profession between the ages of 18 and 20 do National Service. We can uses chavs as beasts of burden. Uni students would be expected to take survival courses and could do their part-time service by managing and directing the work crews of those doing National Service.

Finished with my incomprehenible rambling......................

ReputationRep:
    I've got no objection to universal national service in non-military occupations, but the armed forces don't want conscripts. They are expensive for the government and do not make good soldiers - modern day combat needs highly trained professionals, not some oik who is doing a short period of national service because the government told him/her to.

The idea of making criminals do it is all very well, but do you want to teach criminals combat skills? A better thing to do with criminals is to train them to make sure they actually have a profession when they leave prison.

I see nothing desirable about a more obedient population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    ..nor at a "normal" school because of the policies of various governments over many years. there is something ironic about a policy of spending a few thousand million quid to encourage professional sportsmen and at the same time making it much more difficult for ordinary people to exercise or take part in sports. The football pitches on Hackney Marshes are much more important for the future of British sport than Chelsea FC, but that's thge one all the fuss is made about.
    yes - that has incensed me - for example stopping sport in schools because it is too competitive and some people will feel left out - life is hard, you wont be able to do everything - get over it.
    At school I was never good at sport, but I still played them and I'm happy I did now, because it has builded character and made me a stronger person - both physically and mentally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I've got no objection to universal national service in non-military occupations, but the armed forces don't want conscripts. They are expensive for the government and do not make good soldiers - modern day combat needs highly trained professionals, not some oik who is doing a short period of national service because the government told him/her to.

The idea of making criminals do it is all very well, but do you want to teach criminals combat skills? A better thing to do with criminals is to train them to make sure they actually have a profession when they leave prison.

I see nothing desirable about a more obedient population.
    Good shout. The last person I want covering my back is a chav or criminal.

I say we send all the chavs and criminals to Oxbridge so they can learn something.

ReputationRep:
    Well back in the days of national service all university students could delay their service until they had finished university. But of course that was back when you had to be intelligent to go to university, nowadays any idiot can get in with micky mouse A levels like sociology, RE, media etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfloyd)
    Well back in the days of national service all university students could delay their service until they had finished university. But of course that was back when you had to be intelligent to go to university, nowadays any idiot can get in with micky mouse A levels like sociology, RE, media etc.
    RE is not a mickey mouse A level, and I doubt any of the others cited are. Get your head out of the Sun. Did you even do A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing them at the moment. Maths, Physics and History.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.