Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfloyd)
    I'm doing them at the moment. Maths, Physics and History.
    Well don't go on about mickey mouse subjects. Most, if not all A levels, involve a great degree of work and thought. You should know that.

ReputationRep:
    nooooooooooooooo I'm glad that if there was national service I dont think girls would have to go. at least I hope not. at least I wouldn't want to spend a couple of years going round calling people 'sir' and 'ma'am.' not my idea of fun. ROFL
    at that, i wouldnt want to spend a couple of years blowing people's heads off either...

ReputationRep:
    Screw this country. Why should we have to fight for it if we dont want to?

Being 18, i dont have the money to move out this country (since i object to it), so im forced to reside here. This also makes me the right age for national service....but we should have a choice! Im not going to give my life to this country, or any other. Its my life and i choose to do what i want with it.

I also happen to believe in freedom and peace, so you wont find me behind the barrel of a rifle at any point (having said that, i do have a wicked shot, not that i've practiced....)

ReputationRep:
    The BNP would introduce national service for all males once they reach 18. Conscientious objectors would be allowed to server in a non-combat branch of the army but would forfeit the right to free university education which the BNP would bring in.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want a free uni education.

I'm getting a priveledge, why shouldn't I pay for it? A free uni would mean a poorly funded one. Thank god the BNP aren't gonna get anywhere, even if they do renounce Marxism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranksy)
    I also happen to believe in freedom and peace, so you wont find me behind the barrel of a rifle at any point
    :rolleyes: Hippy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stranksy)
    Being 18, i dont have the money to move out this country (since i object to it), so im forced to reside here. This also makes me the right age for national service....but we should have a choice! Im not going to give my life to this country, or any other. Its my life and i choose to do what i want with it.

I also happen to believe in freedom and peace, so you wont find me behind the barrel of a rifle at any point (having said that, i do have a wicked shot, not that i've practiced....)
    Forced to reside here? Do you wear a ball and chain? Are Immigration control looking for you? Do youy have a tag so you can't get out without going through passport control? It wouldn't cost much to catch a ferry to France as a foot passenger. You could hitch to Dover and hop off there- or stow away if you want. Busk your way around the world.
    What you mean is you don't have the money to go abroad in comfort and security and you'd rather ponce off this country and grumble about it too. A very reasonable view- just don't pretend it's because you can't "move out of this country". As for freedom and peace, if you are not willing to defend your freedom and peace you depend on other people to defend them for you. The test for people who believe in Freedom and peace" is what they do when they find themselves in front of the barrel of a rifle. Then we'll know if you are inspired by morality or a taste for comfort.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you say you're a good shot, what range were you at? And what classifies you as a good shot?

--------------

The BNP would introduce national service for all males once they reach 18. Conscientious objectors would be allowed to server in a non-combat branch of the army but would forfeit the right to free university education which the BNP would bring in.
    What about the people who want to serve in the military but not in a combat role? And why should the consciencous objectors get the opportunity to get a trade while those who go willingly get to experience the horrible end of war?

ReputationRep:
    I ask no one to defend my freedom and peace, because freedom and peace for me is not security, having a house, job, being service to the system. If people want to destroy this country, im all for it. Society/Economy doesnt work, and its coming to an end. I would only pull the trigger to defend my life, not the country.

I am forced (maybe stuck is a better word?) to reside here because its not as simple as getting on a boat and going to France, theres more too it than that. My family for one; I cant just leave them behind and loose all connection with them, i care about them. I cant just turn my back on them, that would be selfish.

Back on topic: All im saying is, you shouldnt be forced to fight for something you don't believe in, even if you are residing on their land. You cant be anywhere in the world and not be on someones land. Using that as a reason to fight for them doesnt work for me. No one owns the land, it belongs to the Earth, not humans. Of course, i could get a houseboat and sail out to sea, but i dont think i would last very long...

ReputationRep:
    The education you have received, the security you don't want but receive anyway, the ease of access to a computer to express your views, the house you live in but don't want, the family you don't want to leave behind- all of these are supplied by the society/economy you believe don't work. they aren't perfect, i agree, but it might be a good idea if you saw what a genuine state of anomie- where there is no society or economy, where there is a Hobbesian war of all against all- is like so you can tell the difference.
    At one time going abroad did- literally- mean going for ever. You can get back to Britianb cheaply from any part fo the world in a few days now. There are excellent mail, 'phone and internet services from all over the world. You will not lose all connection with your family unless you choose to.
    Certainly, you shouldn't have to fight for what you don't believe in, but when you are benefitting from something it is a little hypocritical to say you don't believe in it, especially when you do not try to leave it.

ReputationRep:
    So you say we won't find you behind a trigger at any point, then you say you would pull a trigger to defend yourself and then you claim to be a good shot! I bet you're not as good a shot as me though

ReputationRep:
    The education you have received, the security you don't want but receive anyway, the ease of access to a computer to express your views, the house you live in but don't want, the family you don't want to leave behind- all of these are supplied by the society/economy you believe don't work. they aren't perfect, i agree, but it might be a good idea if you saw what a genuine state of anomie- where there is no society or economy, where there is a Hobbesian war of all against all- is like so you can tell the difference.
    At one time going abroad did- literally- mean going for ever. It doesn't now.You can get back to Britain cheaply from any part of the world in a few days now. There are excellent mail, 'phone and internet services from all over the world. You will not lose "all connection" with your family unless you choose to.
    Certainly, you shouldn't have to fight for what you don't believe in, but when you are benefitting from something it is a little hypocritical to say you don't believe in it, especially when you do not try to leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Well back in the days of national service all university students could delay their service until they had finished university. But of course that was back when you had to be intelligent to go to university, nowadays any idiot can get in with micky mouse A levels like sociology, RE, media etc.
    How dare you! Sociology is not a mickey mouse A level.

And before you start, I did do Sociology, but also Chemistry, Physics and English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    One reason many people dislike sociology, i think, is that it tells them things about themselves that they'd much rather not know.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know much about anything let alone myself. ROFL.
    but I am trying to learn...
    On that, i still have about 100 pages of homework to learn before my next flying lesson on Wednesday, so maybe I should get off TSR and actually do some for a change @S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    How dare you! Sociology is not a mickey mouse A level.

And before you start, I did do Sociology, but also Chemistry, Physics and English Lit.
    Thats because people like you love the fact that you can get an A level in banging on about how fantastic multiculturalism is and what a hard time Muslims get in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Thats because people like you love the fact that you can get an A level in banging on about how fantastic multiculturalism is and what a hard time Muslims get in this country.
    Who are people like me?

I didn't do anything about muslims in my A level at all.
    and a lot of sociologists don't like multi-culturalism.

ReputationRep:
    It's debatable whether or not conscripts make good soldiers. During the Napoleonic Wars, a common sentence for criminals was compulsory service in the armed forces. I think we won that war,so they can't be all bad.
    I tihnk you'll find problems of class difference and personal prejudice melt away when you fight alongside one another - the worry of possible death tends to outweigh factors like "He wears baseball caps and tucks his trousers into his socks".
    Not saying I'm in favour of national service, mind you, I prefer making my own choices.

ReputationRep:
    National service isn't about being a front line soldier. It is about instilling discipline, a sense of pride to ones country, providing support for professional soldiers in time of conflict if required but also having the ability to fight if needed. Anybody who isn't prepared to fight for their country has no right to expect anything from their country in return.

ReputationRep:
    National service isn't about being a front line soldier.
    So you wouldnt make those serving National service fight on the front line?

It is about instilling discipline
    So those who could prove they were disciplined wouldnt have to go?
    And why is blind adherence to a set of rules to be encouraged? Shouldnt we be encouraged to question the ay in which we live?

, a sense of pride to ones country
    I am not at all proud to be British. Britain has done little for me. Sorry. It has done Nothing. Rock and soil is not particularly helpful when Im in trouble.

, providing support for professional soldiers in time of conflict if required
    So the BNP thinks that it is likely that we will be going to war under a government led by them?

but also having the ability to fight if needed
    But National Service isnt about being a frontline soldier.

. Anybody who isn't prepared to fight for their country has no right to expect anything from their country in return.
    What if I just want to be left alone to live my life in peace. Am I not allowed to?
    Name me one thing this country can do for me.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.