Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody here used Gap Medics? I'm thinking of going for a month to India in April and would love to hear other peoples experiences with the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clewsy)
    Anybody here used Gap Medics? I'm thinking of going for a month to India in April and would love to hear other peoples experiences with the company.
    Not actually been with Gap Medics. Son went to India with Projects Abroad for 2 weeks last summer and said it was a good experience. Having 4 rejections we have talked about him going away for longer possibly with Gap Medics but these trips are pricey and you could equally get loads of experience working/volunteering in the UK if you want to use it for your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think those companies are a waste of time, primarily because most medical school won't give you much more credit for having spent two weeks abroad. You would be better off doing some voluntary work in the UK throughout the year as it would have more weight in your personal statement.

Though I am sure you will have a good time and it will be well organised and beneficial at personal level, for the momey it will cost you, you may benefit much more by staying here and doing something over a longer period of time and more meaningful in relation to your application.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I never really got my head around the concept of one paying for the privilege of working without pay, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I never really got my head around the concept of one paying for the privilege of working without pay, haha.
    I don't know many people who aren't being charged some kind of administration\tuition fee by their host hospital for their elective.

That's one reason I'd recommend the OP save their money actually and spend it on an actual clinical elective whilst at medical school.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    I don't know many people who aren't being charged some kind of administration\tuition fee by their host hospital for their elective.

That's one reason I'd recommend the OP save their money actually and spend it on an actual clinical elective whilst at medical school.
    I'd say that an elective in med school is much more useful and a better bang for buck than shadowing a foreign doctor.

IMO obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. I am working in a care home as a HCA (pretty much guaranteed) for the majority of the year starting from this July, with more work experience in the UK which I would use to beef up my PS. Tbh I just wanted to use this year to do something I would never do normally, but I may have to consider the fact I could do something similar in a Med school elective.

Thanks for the help. Cheers.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.