Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Young 'going abroad to find work' watch

ReputationRep:
    The lack of job prospects in the UK is forcing young people to consider a move abroad to look for work, a survey has revealed.

More than half of the 18 to 25-year-olds questioned said they were seriously thinking of emigrating because of the high rate of youth unemployment.

Australia is top of the list of popular destinations for young people wanting to leave the UK, followed by Canada and China.

The survey found that nearly 65% of young people are considering leaving the UK, with 52% saying they were seriously considering doing so.

Adrian Jacob, of Student Currency Exchange, which surveyed 1,982 young people, said: "Job prospects in the UK are extremely gloomy for young people with youth unemployment at its highest since records began and things don't look like they're going to improve anytime soon.

"It makes sense that young people are looking to go where there are more job opportunities and quite probably a better quality of life."

discuss

ReputationRep:
    % who actually do? About 3...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    % who actually do? About 3...
    My thoughts exactly, I don't know anyone who actually wants to leave. There is really no reason to do so, even if they can't get jobs they can fall back on the Welfare State.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Good for them more jobs for me.

ReputationRep:
    Those figures don't seem right. I am planning on emigrating to Spain in the summer when I graduate though.

ReputationRep:
    Err, how? Don't you need money to leave? I'm considering looking for work in Canada, but that's because I'm already a bloody citizen. In addition, 52% my arse. It's like how people complain about being fat and how they're going to lose weight, but never do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    The lack of job prospects in the UK is forcing young people to consider a move abroad to look for work, a survey has revealed.

More than half of the 18 to 25-year-olds questioned said they were seriously thinking of emigrating because of the high rate of youth unemployment.

Australia is top of the list of popular destinations for young people wanting to leave the UK, followed by Canada and China.

The survey found that nearly 65% of young people are considering leaving the UK, with 52% saying they were seriously considering doing so.

Adrian Jacob, of Student Currency Exchange, which surveyed 1,982 young people, said: "Job prospects in the UK are extremely gloomy for young people with youth unemployment at its highest since records began and things don't look like they're going to improve anytime soon.

"It makes sense that young people are looking to go where there are more job opportunities and quite probably a better quality of life."

discuss
    Dunno about 52%...seems a bit high.

Then again, I left to go for a year in Canada so I'm one of them (but i'm actually over 25)

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to Norway after I graduate, but I would have done that at some time anyway. Even if Britain was a utopia rather than a grotty hole I'd still sooner be in Norway.

ReputationRep:
    Why should these other countries let them in?

I'm not being racist but is it right that unemployed people from the UK go and take their problems to some other country?

Charity begins at home. Have those countries not got unemployed people of their own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    Err, how? Don't you need money to leave? I'm considering looking for work in Canada, but that's because I'm already a bloody citizen. In addition, 52% my arse. It's like how people complain about being fat and how they're going to lose weight, but never do.
    Exactly, none of them will get a visa.

If they are multi lingual then the EU is an option but other than that unless you want to go and look for jobs in Ireland (LOL) then the other English speaking countries aren't going to let you in. The best you can get is a one year working holiday visa for Australia or Canada etc, but you can't really get a career from these because they have too many restrictions, you can only work for one employer for a restricted period etc.

The odds of some unemployed graduate from the UK who can't get a job, being able to satisfy the points requirements for emigrating to the US or Australia are pretty much nil.

Mind you I do know a girl who paid £1000 odd to an agency which "assisted in emigration advice to Australia" to tell her exactly what I told her after researching the Australian Home Affairs website for a while, that she didn't satisfy the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people of mixed ages who want to leave the country. They've been wanting to do so for nearly 10 years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I know plenty of people of mixed ages who want to leave the country. They've been wanting to do so for nearly 10 years now.
    But haven't.

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously considering leaving the UK after i complete my degree. This is in part because i do computing and the jobs in the UK arent where the money is at. also if i leave for 5 years they remove your student debt

ReputationRep:
    I will almost definitely leave the country within the next 7 or so years.

The lack of jobs here is not, however, my primary motivation.

ReputationRep:
    Well they will have a shock and realise that most of Europe has around 30% youth unemployment...

ReputationRep:
    who says anything about moving within europe?

ReputationRep:
    This is my plan. Going to America when I finish university, idgaf about what the economic situation is at the time. Gonna save up whatever money I can throughout uni (haha, good luck me) and then I'm getting out of here. July 2014... so far away. ):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammyface)
    This is my plan. Going to America when I finish university, idgaf about what the economic situation is at the time. Gonna save up whatever money I can throughout uni (haha, good luck me) and then I'm getting out of here. July 2014... so far away. ):
    Going to have an anchor baby or win the green card lottery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GavinHinton)
    also if i leave for 5 years they remove your student debt
    Apart from they don't...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Going to have an anchor baby or win the green card lottery?
    Neither of those. He's going to ask nicely.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.