Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    surely germany ?

ReputationRep:
    Define " Best "

Germany is definitely up there, japan aswell. However it's too specific, I'd go with regions like north america, europe, asia and so on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajveers)
    surely germany ?
    Best ?

Italy or the UK ...

best does not equal driven by image and a triumph of style over substance , which makes up 90 + % of the alleged 'prestige' output from German makers ... and GM Europe or Ford Europe products are white goods as are VW - equally there's not really a convincing argument to buy VW anymore when you can have a Skoda or Seat for the same or less money ...

significant proprtion of the Japanese output is white goods vehicles as well, the exceptions being a handful of vehicles e.g. Skyline /Stagea , RX8 , NSX, S2000 and MX5

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go ahead and say Sweden.

Volvo, Saab and Koenigsegg. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    how can you say 'style over substance' and then say british cars are better
    have you seen some of the engineering feats these german cars have!? The reason a lot of british cars are popular are simply due to (misplaced) patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I'm gonna go ahead and say Sweden.

Volvo, Saab and Koenigsegg. :coma:
    certainly higher than Germany ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    have you seen some of the engineering feats these german cars have!? The reason a lot of british cars are popular are simply due to (misplaced) patriotism.
    BMWs are not prestige cars

the BINI is a Joke - a pure triumph of style over substance

the 1 series is a noddy car - again style over substance

the 3 and 5 series are common as muck and not actually all that remarkable, note how the M3 has almost become a model in itself

the Merc B and C class are used as minicabs in germany , they are not a prestige product there.

the E and S class are no where near as durable as their predecessors of 20 -30 years ago.

Mercedes cannot build a supercar without significant UK input ( Mclaren)

the truely 'engineering feats' from German makers are Alpina, AMG and the core product line from Porsche ( i.e. '911' family and boxster) not the melted VW Toerag)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    BMWs are not prestige cars

the BINI is a Joke - a pure triumph of style over substance

the 1 series is a noddy car - again style over substance

the 3 and 5 series are common as muck and not actually all that remarkable, note how the M3 has almost become a model in itself

the Merc B and C class are used as minicabs in germany , they are not a prestige product there.

the E and S class are no where near as durable as their predecessors of 20 -30 years ago.

Mercedes cannot build a supercar without significant UK input ( Mclaren)

the truely 'engineering feats' from German makers are Alpina, AMG and the core product line from Porsche ( i.e. '911' family and boxster) not the melted VW Toerag)
    i didnt mention bmw, i very much meant porsche 911
    s class is just undeniable tho, the number of things they come up with first...

ReputationRep:
    for style I would say Italy. For reliability I would say Japanese (maybe German). Good handling I would say German (maybe UK). For crappy steering........ US of course

ReputationRep:
    Britain.

We have the best motorsport engineers and tuners in the world. There is a reason why most F1 teams base themselves in the UK!

Just think of the most fun cars:-

Lotus
    TVR
    Caterham
    Aerial
    Westfield
    Jaguar
    Aston Martin
    McLaren
    Bentley
    Rolls Royce
    Lister
    Triumph
    MG

All some of the best sports cars and fun cars of all time. The only country thats comes close is Italy. But I still think Britain has the edge.

German and Japanese cars are great daily drivers, but they are pretty clinical. British and Italian cars have character and a soul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    I think there was a time when that was true. But, have you seen the stuff that Jaguar Land Rover is coming out with at the moment? Engineering wise, it's on a par with (if not greater than) the stuff coming out of Germany.

Anyway, I reckon it's too difficult a question to answer, as each country has its specialities. However, I still believe that at its best, the UK gives any other country a run for its money.

We can do super cars and sports cars (TVR, Jaguar, McLaren, Aston Martin, Lotus, etc). We can do luxury (Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley). We can do off road cars (Land Rover). We can even do quirky cars (Morgan). In fact, the only thing we don't do is produce dull, Eurobox type cars with weedy four cylinder engines - no great loss!

ReputationRep:
    This is just stupid everyone is just throwing out their opinions. We need some guidelines so we can actually see which one is the best...

IE production
    safety
    prestige
    engineering
    looks

and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    This is just stupid everyone is just throwing out their opinions. We need some guidelines so we can actually see which one is the best...

IE production
    safety
    prestige
    engineering
    looks

and so on.
    Errr...all of those criteria (bar safety) are entirely subjective and unquantifiable. You can lay down all the guidelines you want, but it's still only going to generate an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I voted with my feet - no doubt those with the sense to look beyond the average econobox have done the same.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you mean by ''best''.
    Affordability? Japan.
    Reliability? Germany.
    Luxury? British

ReputationRep:
    Best in terms of reliability : - Japan.
    Best in terms of engineering :- Germany.
    Best in terms of affordability :- Korea / China.
    Best in terms of styling :- Italy.
    Best in terms of being unique :- UK.

British cars, am somewhat losing faith in them.... my Discovery, started driving it since Valentines Day, it leaked transmission fluid, the sat-nav system can freeze if you use it in London city area. They delivered the car with a bubble on 1 tyre. 2 of the speakers weren't connected.

My former Audi Q5, in contrast never had any issues from the day I picked it up till the day I got rid of it.

My former Mini Cooper S JCW.... from day 1 I got it, it saw some of the most thrashing it would ever see in it's lifetime, I never changed gear before 4500rpm, changing gears.... usage of the clutch was optional...except when on 1st. My favourite past-time was to see how fast I could get around corners with it and trying to beat my laptimes between Birmingham and Aberystwyth.... used to do it twice a week as I was studying and living in Aberystwyth and had a job in Birmingham. Track days at least twice a month..... things that went wrong? I needed new tyres and it needed a new paint job

Wouldn't have traded it off, but my missus insisted.... we changed it for a One D version..... so far never had any issues with it, but then again it's still quite new, got it in Jan.

The Defender, we haven't driven it much yet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.