Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, me and some friends are going to Amsterdam. We booked a budget hotel which had mixed reviews, mostly down to cleanliness. But it seems like this is the case in Amsterdam, especially on budget holidays- so we just went for it and said that if anything was the slightest bit dirty we'd complain!

But anyway, I've just stumbled across a handful of reviews about the safety of the hotel. People have had their belongings stolen and rooms trashed whilst they have been out, and a traveller had the lock picked on his door in the middle of the night and woke up to find all of his valuables missing.

My friends aren't overly concerned, and even though I know there is a slim chance of something like this happening- I can help but be a little bit nervous. I've ordered a high quality lock for my case that I'm intending to lock all of valuables up in throughout the night, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that we can do?

We're not really in a position to swap hotels as it's all booked and it was the only thing in our price range, and apart from these reviews it seems to be okay...

So yeah, any other tips to keep safe? Would a door stop rammed under our room door overnight stop anyone coming in- or is there a special device I can buy? X

ReputationRep:
    Insurance?

ReputationRep:
    As long as it is MIXED reviews and not all bad I'd just go for it, make sure the doors locked, carry any valubles with you and yes put them somewhere near you whilst your sleeping. Amsterdam in my opinion is an awesome city you'll barely be in the hotel anyway have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Do the obvious like not leaving anything in plain sight in the room which would stop a quick 'smash and grab', always double check you've locked the door etc. If you make friends with people at the hotel don't show anything off.
    For night you could put a suitcase/s against the door or something you would hear being knocked over. I'm sure it'll be fine though and the hotel must have upped their security otherwise they'd be more than a handful of reviews.

ReputationRep:
    where in amsterdam is this? because the district that youre in will more or less determine the actual reliability of your hotel with little regard to the reviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espada00)
    where in amsterdam is this? because the district that youre in will more or less determine the actual reliability of your hotel with little regard to the reviews
    Eenhomsluis, or something?
    It's really central :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    Do the obvious like not leaving anything in plain sight in the room which would stop a quick 'smash and grab', always double check you've locked the door etc. If you make friends with people at the hotel don't show anything off.
    For night you could put a suitcase/s against the door or something you would hear being knocked over. I'm sure it'll be fine though and the hotel must have upped their security otherwise they'd be more than a handful of reviews.
    Good idea! Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    I used to go hitch-hiking and sleep on the street in Europe. I find the best way to make sure nobody touches your valaubles without you realising (short of leaving them all at home) is to tie your bag to your wrist - either using the straps or a piece of string.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    belongings stolen
    Insurance, make sure your covered if anything does happen.

ReputationRep:
    As above, take out insurance and keep valuable on you when you go out. Maybe just take one camera for the whole group to take pictures instead of one each to minimise the risk or the loss if the worst happens? Also, use travellers cheques instead of cash.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, me and some friends are going to Amsterdam. We booked a budget hotel which had mixed reviews, mostly down to cleanliness. But it seems like this is the case in Amsterdam, especially on budget holidays- so we just went for it and said that if anything was the slightest bit dirty we'd complain!

But anyway, I've just stumbled across a handful of reviews about the safety of the hotel. People have had their belongings stolen and rooms trashed whilst they have been out, and a traveller had the lock picked on his door in the middle of the night and woke up to find all of his valuables missing.

My friends aren't overly concerned, and even though I know there is a slim chance of something like this happening- I can help but be a little bit nervous. I've ordered a high quality lock for my case that I'm intending to lock all of valuables up in throughout the night, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that we can do?

We're not really in a position to swap hotels as it's all booked and it was the only thing in our price range, and apart from these reviews it seems to be okay...

So yeah, any other tips to keep safe? Would a door stop rammed under our room door overnight stop anyone coming in- or is there a special device I can buy? X
    Have you checked out www.hostelworld.com? Also, I'd recommend looking into the two Flying Pigs in Amsterdam, which are reasonably priced. If they suit better, cancel your first booking and then go with them.

ReputationRep:
    Cancel, and go to StayOkay Vondelpark! It's really cheap there, and you get a decent breakfast included, super nice inside, very clean. Although it's a hostel, you can get a padlock for the locker in your room, comfy beds... cannot recommend it enough!

ReputationRep:
    Insurance.
    Travellers cheques (or just take money out the cashpoint when you get there, the charges are not that bad).
    Don't take any valuables you can't replace. Your mobile phone, passport, ipod, bank cards can be replaced. Your nice bracelet that you got for christmas can't be, so leave it at home.

As long as you're vigilant you should be ok, just look out for each other

ReputationRep:
    Eenhomsluis, or something?
    It's really central :/
    do you mean eenhoornsluis? its quite alright that area, its not like its close to the red light district where despite it being central has a lot of dodgy bits

i'd recommend stayokay as well, i didnt stay at the one in vondelpark though, but seeing as it is a hostel chain, the standards are pretty much the same. Its big and homey, great security and atmosphere (i watched the spain vs netherlands world cup match there, pretty awesome) the meals are more than acceptable, rooms and spacious and comfortable (if you dont mind sharing rooms)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espada00)
    do you mean eenhoornsluis? its quite alright that area, its not like its close to the red light district where despite it being central has a lot of dodgy bits

i'd recommend stayokay as well, i didnt stay at the one in vondelpark though, but seeing as it is a hostel chain, the standards are pretty much the same. Its big and homey, great security and atmosphere (i watched the spain vs netherlands world cup match there, pretty awesome) the meals are more than acceptable, rooms and spacious and comfortable (if you dont mind sharing rooms)
    Yes- I did mean that
    If it's alright, that makes me feel safer. We can't change hotels because everyone is happy where we're going...I'm somewhat happy but I'm def going to be on guard!

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with the most expensive possessions, such as your camera and wallet, under your pillow, or hide them in something unsuspecting/weird. A friend of mine hid her purse in a sanitary towel wrapper and put it in the side pocket of her suitcase

ReputationRep:
    You should check in to the Smackdown Hotel, where The Rock will devour your pie entirely.

You can expect anything better at Amsterdam, tis what its all about babay :jiggy:

ReputationRep:
    Stop reading Tripadvisor.It's crap.

ReputationRep:
    Yes- I did mean that
    If it's alright, that makes me feel safer. We can't change hotels because everyone is happy where we're going...I'm somewhat happy but I'm def going to be on guard!
    its good that youre reassured but dont stick with me on this one cuz ive never stayed in that area before, only visited it in passing. the tips above are awesome, id also add in that you should invest in a really good suitcase padlock, and if youre valuables are too bulky then put in in a separate bag that can be secured or padlocked, and put that in the suitcase during the night. Also, passport with you, every second of every day.

ReputationRep:
    What do you even need to take that's valuable? Other than phone/ipod/camera, which you could quite easily keep in your pockets when you're asleep, or put under your pillow etc

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.