Turn on thread page Beta

Booked a dodgy hotel, what to do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you always have to be careful with these reviews - remember that people who have a negative experience are more likely to write a review than those who have a perfectly good experience.

That said, at least now you can take extra precautions and make sure you keep yourselves safe !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    Yes- I did mean that
    If it's alright, that makes me feel safer. We can't change hotels because everyone is happy where we're going...I'm somewhat happy but I'm def going to be on guard!
    never leave your passport lying around. better to lose the fillings in your teeth than that

ReputationRep:
    Basically, me and some friends are going to Amsterdam. We booked a budget hotel which had mixed reviews, mostly down to cleanliness. But it seems like this is the case in Amsterdam, especially on budget holidays- so we just went for it and said that if anything was the slightest bit dirty we'd complain!

But anyway, I've just stumbled across a handful of reviews about the safety of the hotel. People have had their belongings stolen and rooms trashed whilst they have been out, and a traveller had the lock picked on his door in the middle of the night and woke up to find all of his valuables missing.

My friends aren't overly concerned, and even though I know there is a slim chance of something like this happening- I can help but be a little bit nervous. I've ordered a high quality lock for my case that I'm intending to lock all of valuables up in throughout the night, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that we can do?

We're not really in a position to swap hotels as it's all booked and it was the only thing in our price range, and apart from these reviews it seems to be okay...

So yeah, any other tips to keep safe? Would a door stop rammed under our room door overnight stop anyone coming in- or is there a special device I can buy? X
    Which hotel? I was in Amsterdam over New Year in a really budget hotel so know what's going down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beanz123)
    Which hotel? I was in Amsterdam over New Year in a really budget hotel so know what's going down...
    ...Quentin Arrive

ReputationRep:
    ...Quentin Arrive
    I didn't stay there but from the looks of the hotel it is similar to all the budget hotels there... basic facilities, slightly grungy but fine, just make sure you put valuables in the room safe if there is one and if not hide them well (in shoes/socks, under bed etc...)

Have a great time, make sure you visit hill street blues - best coffee shop

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.