Turn on thread page Beta

Libyan Mathematician Proves UN Agenda watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    110 tomahawk missles per week = $75,600,000
    20 fighter jet pilots per anum = $940,000
    20 fighter jets (F-15) = $500,000,000
    5 Ford built aircraft carriers = $40,000,000,000
    Upkeep of all hardware and salaries for flight engineers and fuel = $xxx,000,000

1.6 million barrels of Libyan oil per anum at today's prices = $176,000,000

Amazing profit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Upkeep of all hardware and salaries for flight engineers and fuel = $xxx,000,000

Amazing profit!
    Astounding, but that's using statistics to justify a hypothesis. They do not mathematically prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    Astounding, but that's using statistics to justify a hypothesis. They do not mathematically prove it.
    Ok, so prove the UN can secure all of Libya's oil for less than $176,000,000

Should be easy, anyone care to attempt it?

ReputationRep:
    err what?

the aircraft carriers were built and paid for already - probably parking them off the libyan coast isn't adding much to the running costs they'd incur if they were elsewhere doing other things, same with the aircraft and pilots who'd still need paying even if they were sat on their butts... the missiles are obviously consumed by being used though.

PS the oil companies were happiest when Britain and the US were trying to be friendly with Gadaffi

PPS using coloured text often makes things harder to read - especially pale green.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer selling things on Amazon, myself.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise they had humour over there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so prove the UN can secure all of Libya's oil for less than $176,000,000

Should be easy, anyone care to attempt it?
    Well that depends on the error involved in the costs involved, as they're rounded off to the nearest $10,000.

Sorry, as a prospective mathematician I feel slightly uneasy when I see people using the word "prove" in this context

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    err what?

the aircraft carriers were built and paid for already - probably parking them off the libyan coast isn't adding much to the running costs they'd incur if they were elsewhere doing other things, same with the aircraft and pilots who'd still need paying even if they were sat on their butts... the missiles are obviously consumed by being used though.

PS the oil companies were happiest when Britain and the US were trying to be friendly with Gadaffi

PPS using coloured text often makes things harder to read - especially pale green.
    Of course, it's worth travelling across oceans for a profit similar to that gained in tax from a couple of blockbusters.

Plus I'm sure it's also pretty cheap to suck it up through straws from fighter jets as they fly over the country at Mach 2. Far more cost effective to actually having troops on the ground securing it. Which isn't what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont we not invade libya and take their oil because as soon as we move in theyll just fall apart at the seams like a cheap primark t-shirt.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a link to the source of all these figures?

(I'm just really intrigued where you found this in such detail )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceOfSpades)
    Have you got a link to the source of all these figures?

(I'm just really intrigued where you found this in such detail )
    Googling around can give you a pretty good idea of how much a pilot earns, a jet costs and the average aircrat carrier is. Which doesn't include the dozens of hours of upkeep required per 1 hour of combative flight. which includes 100s of other personnel as well as taking the whole jet apart once a year.

Also how much libya has exported per anum recently multiplied by the current price of a barrell on the stock market.

Plus you have to factor in landing troops on the ground to steal the precious oilz. which hasn't happened yet. Which many of the politic-wannabe **** about here seem to think actually has.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, it's worth travelling across oceans for a profit similar to that gained in tax from a couple of blockbusters.

Plus I'm sure it's also pretty cheap to suck it up through straws from fighter jets as they fly over the country at Mach 2. Far more cost effective to actually having troops on the ground securing it. Which isn't what they're doing.
    yeah I don't think it's a conspiracy to steal oil either :confused: seems everyone was happy enough just buying it as usual till the dictator started massacring his own civilians.

I just don't think the price of aircraft carriers actually shows anything one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Libya produces 176Million dollars worth of oil a year? I think its a lot more than that, they produce around 1.5million barrels a day

ReputationRep:
    its about long term strategy, not oil prices at this moment.

take "when china rules the world" out at your library i am reading this at the moment and it gives you an idea of the nature of strategy that is being played out between china and the US/Europe, its not about now its about 40 years down the line.

one big board game, geo-politics.

ReputationRep:

Amazing profit!
    still that's so set and specific to get that end number. Doubt 100+ tomahawks are gonna be launched a week for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    Libya produces 176Million dollars worth of oil a year? I think its a lot more than that, they produce around 1.5million barrels a day
    Meant day, it's 60 billion if they get a stock market price on it. Which would be unlikely. And they haven't even invaded yet.

Oil is literally ALL they have over there. Cheaper than water per litre.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Amazing profit!
    ITs amazing we can take control of oil fields with no troops on the ground.

ReputationRep:
    It's also amazing how, if we wanted the oil that badly, we would just support Gaddafi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breedlove)
    It's also amazing how, if we wanted the oil that badly, we would just support Gaddafi.
    But the Libyan people don't want Gaddaffi and so the West are in a little predicament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    But the Libyan people don't want Gaddaffi and so the West are in a little predicament.
    We don't want Gaddafi either due to him slaughtering his own people, hence the UN resolution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.