Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: University - Happiness before and after going? watch

• View Poll Results: Before and after going to university, you were...
    Before: Happy with social life. After: Unhappy with social life.
    Before: Happy with social life. After: Happy with social life.
    Before: Unhappy with social life. After: Happy with social life.
    Before: Unhappy with social life. After: Unhappy with social life.

This is inspired by the "what is your experience of university?" thread, although it's a little more specific with something to investigate.

I'm interested to see how life (specifically, social) before university affects life while there. There are all different kinds of extremes - some love it and make a whole new bunch of friends, others absolutely hate it and moan about wanting to drop out, while some are just plain "eh." I want to see if how happy you were with life/ friends previously changes this at all.

So, before university, were you happy with the way things were going? Did you have a solid group of friends you loved? Or were you a bit lonely, maybe had only one or two, and were looking forward to university as a window of opportunity socially? How did things change when you got there? Did you miss your old friends and feel lonely, or vice versa?

I'm in the latter group myself (looking forward to university - I have friends here, but none I'm particularly close with/ would miss) so I'm especially interested in the results. I've noticed some people who are happy with their social life pre-uni often compare to life while there and find themselves unsatisfied.

Feel free to post your reasons below.

EDIT: To clarify (and for any smartasses), by "after going" I mean after you've arrived and are there, not after leaving university.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.