Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting at Sixth Form College in September and have chosen to take History, English Language, Government & Politics and Law. Do you think these are a good selection of a-levels to continue with a law degree or what would you change?

ReputationRep:
    Univesities tend to not want students to have studied Law beorehand at A-Level, so I wouldn't take that. Also, English Literature is considered the more respected A-Level, so I would change the Language for Literature. History is definitely a good option and I think the Government & Politics is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto Jeebis42, also try maths or biology as universities would like a well-rounded, numerical person.

ReputationRep:
    History, Maths, +another subject consisting of either: English Lit, Philosophy, G&Politics, Any Science, Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INilssonForrest)
    I am starting at Sixth Form College in September and have chosen to take History, English Language, Government & Politics and Law. Do you think these are a good selection of a-levels to continue with a law degree or what would you change?
    English Literature, History, Mathematics, and then one or two of Economics/Chemistry/Philosophy and Ethics.

ReputationRep:
    Uni's tend to want... History, Eng Lit, politics and anothe essay based subject.

most unis dnt like law at alevel, because you would use it as a reason to want to study law, they want other reasons. Youcould do history, Eng lit, maths and politics to be an all rounded person, to show you have logic not jus written ability.

Also they want Eng lit more than Lang, because of the skills you gain from ng lit.

ReputationRep:
    Eng Lit/History
    RS(philosopy & ethics)
    Maths
    Econs/Govt & Politics

ReputationRep:
    My lowest grade is in Maths, which is only a C so I have virtually no chance of being able to take it at a-level and besides my brain would melt just looking at it and I think I will change to do Philosophy and I may change to English Literature once I complete it at GCSE, hopefully getting a B the same as I did in Language. Thanks anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    History, Lit, Politics >enter traditional subject here< = perfect set. Maths might be good if your good at maths, or maybe a language

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all this advice and i've decided to choose Economics, History, Geography and English Literature & Language

ReputationRep:
    Substitute English Literature instead of Language.

And maths (or any academic tradition subject) instead of Law - make sure it's one you enjoy and are good at.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure if you take essay based subjects unis will be happy to accept you so your subject combination would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    I studied History, Business Studies, IT and Psychology (dropped after 1st year) as well as a 1 year citizenship course

History is pretty much a requirement and English shows essay writing and reading skills.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for all this advice and i've decided to choose Economics, History, Geography and English Literature & Language
    Perfect. But if you can study english lit on it's own instead of with english language then you should just do lit.

ReputationRep:
    history and eng lit are pretty much reuired. as above its better to study lit on its own than with lang.. best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.