Turn on thread page Beta

Please help me asap!!! watch

Can you take a (or two) 500mg Paracetamol tablets if I have already taken a 20mg Citalopram Film Coated Tablet in the day? (I'm having chest pains)

ReputationRep:
    Call NHS direct, we aren't doctors.

ReputationRep:
    Well can I take 1 paracetamol?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Should be OK - call 0845 4647 (NHS Direct) if you want somebody that knows what they're talking about, don't take anything without checking.

P.S. Don't take ibuprofen with citalopram.

e: Wait I'm confused, is this past tense or future tense? :confused:

e2: Okay, just re-read your post about 5 times and now I understand. I thought you were implying that you were getting chest pains as a consequence of mixing paracetamol/citalopram. Have a read of the leaflet that came with your tablets and see if that mentions anything.

ReputationRep:
    Not a doctor but...I would imagine that such small doses are unlikely to cause you massive problems unless you have an underlying condition. However, if you're having chest pains then it might be worth a trip to your GP anyway.

When did you take the Paracetamol?

ReputationRep:
    Speaking only from my experience as someone with a friend (an actual friend, not me) who used to be on antidepressants , you'll probably be fine - she definitely 'mixed' the two when she had a headache or whatever and never had any noticeable side effects. As others have said though, don't take our words for granted (most people here aren't doctors), ring up to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    I would ring up but it's 11pm :P - so no GP tonight :\

I took the 20mg of citalopram this afternoon at about 12pm. Having chest pains so I was wondering if I could have a 500mg capsule of paracetamol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    I would ring up but it's 11pm :P - so no GP tonight :\

I took the 20mg of citalopram this afternoon at about 12pm. Having chest pains so I was wondering if I could have a 500mg capsule of paracetamol.
    NHS Direct is 24/7 - 0845 4647.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Call NHS direct, we aren't doctors.
    neither are the people that you talk to when you call NHS 24

ReputationRep:
    Really? What are NHS 24?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    Doctors aren't the only people in the health profession who can read the BNF, tbh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Call someone who would know!! Don't go seeking advice from a group of students who clearly won't know for sure... is there anything on the instructions? And why anon?? lol

ReputationRep:
    dunno why I chose anon. Guess I was in a hurry and clicked anything lol

ReputationRep:
    I would say stop taking citalopram if you have chest pains (I've been on it before).
    BTW escitalopram worked better for me than citalopram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    No, they are people who are medically qualified and who can ask a doctor for a second opinion if needed, unlike us.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.