Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what would be the best route to take in order to work toward a job presenting a radio show

im thinking maybe English but am doing a access to media course

any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Work experience would be a good start, email your local radio stations and see if they have anything for you, the BBC does some although they're very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekay1)
    what would be the best route to take in order to work toward a job presenting a radio show

Volunteer for your local community radio station and get some experience.

No degree required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    Volunteer for your local community radio station and get some experience.

No degree required.
    sounds like a good idea do radio stations do this often
    and would they take someone on who hasn't had any experience

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a good idea do radio stations do this often
    and would they take someone on who hasn't had any experience

Radio is one of those industries where qualifications don't really matter - experience is everything. Nearly everyone gets experience by volunteering, and community radio stations are always in need of people.

I've worked for two different ones now, writing and presenting shows. You learn on the job. If you've got some practical experience then you may be lucky and find a paid position eventually. If you have no experience, that's very unlikely.

You could still go ahead and study radio production or media if you wanted (make sure it's radio specific though), but it isn't necessary to get a job in radio.

There's a list of all the community radio stations in the UK here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radio...nity-main.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    Radio is one of those industries where qualifications don't really matter - experience is everything. Nearly everyone gets experience by volunteering, and community radio stations are always in need of people.

I've worked for two different ones now, writing and presenting shows. You learn on the job. If you've got some practical experience then you may be lucky and find a paid position eventually. If you have no experience, that's very unlikely.

You could still go ahead and study radio production or media if you wanted (make sure it's radio specific though), but it isn't necessary to get a job in radio.

There's a list of all the community radio stations in the UK here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radio...nity-main.html
    Thanks
    That is some very useful information
    I have emailed two station that are within travelling distance from me is it very difficult to get volunteer work as these stations as i would think the would receive a lot of interest from people wanting to do this

ReputationRep:

The competition is well harsh to get into radio. You can bet that most people doing community radio are in things for the experience. Be prepared to sell your soul, dignity and self respect; you'll be making lots of tea for the sales staff.

To be totally honest I would not study on a media course. I've been there done that. Many of them are good, but you'll be finding that there is nothing out there for you when you graduate. If you do go for it, be prepared to go for the entrepreneurial route.

Radio is one of the industries that are all about who you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    The competition is well harsh to get into radio. You can bet that most people doing community radio are in things for the experience. Be prepared to sell your soul, dignity and self respect; you'll be making lots of tea for the sales staff.

To be totally honest I would not study on a media course. I've been there done that. Many of them are good, but you'll be finding that there is nothing out there for you when you graduate. If you do go for it, be prepared to go for the entrepreneurial route.

Radio is one of the industries that are all about who you know.
    Im thinking that my plan will be to do a degree in advertising and marketing wile getting as much experience in radio as possible while doing my access and at uni

I no that Bournemouth have there own radio station so hopefully if i can get a decent bit of experience between now and next September they might be up for helping a little bit even though im not doing a radio course

Do you think this will be possible from what i hear a lot of people who are in radio did not do a degree in that field instead they done something along the lines of English and i figure that advertising and marketing would involve a lot on speaking correctly so to speak and having confidence when talking publicly so can only figure this would help

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.