Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got 20kg dumbell, want to get bit more muscle? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, how many times on each other should I lift to gain some bigger muscle?

ReputationRep:
    Take 20kg dumbbell - sell it - join a gym, Genesis is particularly good in London - Ask for Bulldog, ask for Bulldog to teach you to squat.

ReputationRep:
    People here will just tell you to join a gym. I bought a few dumbbells a while back (like a year and a half ago) and used them. They're just not practical (I eventually sold them and did make a tiny profit ). For a start, you'll need two 20kg dumbbells to do a lot of movements (eg. dumbbell bench press). After a few weeks, you'll need to buy more dumbbells as you gain muscle and 20kg becomes too easy for some lifts. That will mean spending a lot of money. Not to mention if you're at uni, you'll have to lug the weights around from home to uni accommodation.

There are just so many disadvantages to buying your own weights. Well if you are going to buy your own weights, at least go for barbells with weights you can slot on, not dumbbells. But still, not advisable.

So basically, join a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    After a few weeks, you'll need to buy more dumbbells as you gain muscle and 20kg becomes too easy for some lifts.
    just do more reps / sets. Cheaper and easier than trecking back and forth to the gym, which gets tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rfc_07)
    just do more reps / sets. Cheaper and easier than trecking back and forth to the gym, which gets tiresome.
    oh dear :facepalm: you just fail, massively, there's no other way of putting it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh dear :facepalm: you just fail, massively, there's no other way of putting it.
    Sell dumb bell, buy 4 minute abs video.

ReputationRep:
    sell dumbell, buy a curl bar with some weights. Do bicep curlz and when youre doing them swing youre back into it so youre getting both an arm and back workout out. 2 for 1. WIN.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's time you went to the gym. Jog on. You may return once you've realised money doesn't grow on trees and some people can't afford the predominately expensive gym memberships, so dumbells are a cheaper, still largely efficient alternative.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be an even amount of reps, for example 10, 16 or even 32, to build muscle.

Doing an uneven amount of reps will cause muscle to turn into fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rfc_07)
    I think it's time you went to the gym. Jog on. You may return once you've realised money doesn't grow on trees and some people can't afford the predominately expensive gym memberships, so dumbells are a cheaper, still largely efficient alternative.
    I do go to a gym :rolleyes:

lol, you're paying money to buy the dumbbells. In that time, you could get a month or 2 at the gym, find a job and cover the costs. The OP didn't even say anything about money anyway, so why are you assuming things?

ReputationRep:
    I do go to a gym :rolleyes:

lol, you're paying money to buy the dumbbells. In that time, you could get a month or 2 at the gym, find a job and cover the costs. The OP didn't even say anything about money anyway, so why are you assuming things?
    I assumed that. I said go now.

Really? I got a set of 20kg bar and detachable weights for £15. Cheap gym membership eh.

Ah yes, "find a job" because jobs are just being chucked around, there's too many to go around. :facepalm:

I'm talking about the benefits of dumbells in general, not specifically in regards to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Only ever do reps of prime numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Sell dumb bell, buy 4 minute abs video.

7 is the number! Who works out in 4 minuites

ReputationRep:
    twelfty

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.