Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Retake! There's no rules saying you can't retake an AS unit, unless you were planning on applying to UCL or Cambridge.
    Can you just elaborate a little on UCL here?

Say I sat Chemistry Units 1 and 2 in January, flopped, but sat them again in the summer and did brilliantly, then applied in September with my new grades, would UCL not accept the new grades?

In a different scenario, say UCL gave me an offer including A in chemistry. If I was to resit my AS levels in order to improve my overall marks seeing as they are fairly easy marks, then would UCL not accept those resit marks and insist that I make up the ground to get an A on the units that I have not sat yet?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Can you just elaborate a little on UCL here?

Say I sat Chemistry Units 1 and 2 in January, flopped, but sat them again in the summer and did brilliantly, then applied in September with my new grades, would UCL not accept the new grades?

In a different scenario, say UCL gave me an offer including A in chemistry. If I was to resit my AS levels in order to improve my overall marks seeing as they are fairly easy marks, then would UCL not accept those resit marks and insist that I make up the ground to get an A on the units that I have not sat yet?
    Email them - it's all up in the air right now with UCL's resit policy (but I think it only relates to resitting A2 units). They changed their policy to say that you're not allowed to resit A2 units earlier this year, but then they changed it to "they recommend that an applicant doesn't resit" so I'm not really sure. Best bet is to ask them directly - but everybody has been advising since that it's best to check before resitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SylveeDiggs)
    How did you get such a low offer?
    One of those courses with a foundation year I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    One of those courses with a foundation year I think.
    Oh right, was worried

ReputationRep:
    i dunno what all this is about ucl hating resits xD
    coz i resat a jan module in chem last year and they still let me in xD
    i dont think they can see jan resits
    chin up, one exam doesnt define you

ReputationRep:
    Make a living playing russian roulette.

It's completely foolproof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    just resit unit 1...

if it makes you feel any better, I got an E in unit 4 chem....and I'll still be going to med school in september

(although that may or may not be due to my BCC offer :ninja: )
    HOW did you manage to get a BCC offer?? Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Just resit unit 1. I got a C the first time I did unit 1 Chem but then I resat and got an A and applied for Medicine As far as I'm aware there are no medical schools that don't allow unit resits as long as they are are done within the two years. I definately haven't heard of one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman1)
    i cant do medicine now

i got a D for chemistry unit 1 which means i have 2 retake now i cant do medicine - thats been my dream, my passion and now everythings over

wat shall i do

any advice???????????
    ahh, macca, do not worry so mush.

at least your grades dont spell 'DEAD' like mine did in me first year at college... (phewww, macca). I too truely thought that was a bad sign :eek3: , but it turned out ok for me.

ReputationRep:
    At least your grade wasn't an upside down 'n' - its a D! It could be worse! You need to stop worrying and pick yourself up from here.
    Discuss your options with UCL but I'm sure re-taking will be fine.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman)
    At least your grade wasn't an upside down 'n' - its a D! It could be worse! You need to stop worrying and pick yourself up from here.
    Discuss your options with UCL but I'm sure re-taking will be fine.

Good Luck
    well said, Kat. So please macca do no be so depressed.

and plus, if you draw a semi colon to the left of the 'D' and then turn it on its side, add a nose, you will find you now 'ave a little smiley robot face to 'elp cheer you up.

O..............O
    /\

always the bright side, macca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Retake! There's no rules saying you can't retake an AS unit, unless you were planning on applying to UCL or Cambridge.
    I thought UCL just frown upon A2 resit's and allow AS resit's well in the same year? maybe they frown upon resiting AS units in the second year? I am not sure just thought it was like that

EDIT: woops sorry Beska did not read your message above

ReputationRep:
    to OP your best bet is to resit try in June because then you can finish AS this year, just pick up from your mistakes although i did well in chemistry I did not do so well in Decision 1 maths and Psychology so i just highlighted were i went wrong and am working towards my resit in June. This certainly is not the end of medicine

ReputationRep:
    You got a D in one exam and you've failed your life?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.